Service-runner stuck on Activating Auto-restart after full update

Should the service-runner release be pulled then?

Running the emonhub update should install pip3.

Exactly same issue here.
Done a full upgrade from 30Oct18 yesterday, everything seems to work but the LCD panel is blank and service-runner isn’t working. Further upgrade attempts do nothing.

I see the latest July20 image is listed as beta, is it safer to use the Oct19?.

I would say so as a quick fix.

Having just done the update of a script install, I can confirm there is a problem.

For me I solved it by doing an update/upgrade (which installed Python3) and then install pip3 followed by the pip3 redis package.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install python3-pip
pip3 install redis
1 Like

@borpin I have done the steps you mention and the service runner service is now running, however, if I try to run a full update in the Admin page I get this:

LAST ENTRIES ON THE LOG FILE

Starting update via service-runner-update.sh (v2.0) >

Yes you will (see the pinned message). What is your install method? I was in a particular situation in that this is an install on a Proxmox VE Ubuntu container.

@borpin Not sure what you mean by install method. As I stated in my first comment, I have the emonSD-30Oct18 image which was working fine until the last update. I was getting ready to flash the new image on a new SD card when I saw your pinned message and assumed that by installing pip3 and redis it would fix the issue.

If you had used the scripts things would be different.

Assumptions are the mother of all f%&* ups.

It will mean that service-runner will start, but you will still not be able to run an update as that image has been removed from the updates list.

It doesn’t look like this got answered?
I just updated from 10.2.4 to 10.2.6 and hit the issue of a missing python3 redis library.

pip3 install redis

sorted it for me (thanks @borpin), @TrystanLea that step really needs to be handled by the update or this will break break a lot of service-runners, which are required to trigger any future updates, including any that might fix this :slight_smile:

It is not just the python redis, it could also be python3 & pip3 as well. Only happens on non SD based installs.

Fair point. Mine is a non-SD based install but I already had python3 and pip3.

Yes me too. That was more for any follow on readers :wink:.

Thanks. Worked for me.

It needed to do a reboot after the “sudo apt-get upgrade”.

1 Like

Just FYI for others, the 4 steps listed by borpin worked for me. I’ve been running my Pi with the emonSD-17Oct19 (Stable) image since Nov 2019. In April 2020 it was emoncms low-write version 10.1.13, then when I went to create backups last week, it was version 10.2.6 and the service-runner had stopped working. From the Pi’s system prompt, sudo apt-get upgrade upgraded 152 things. I did the python3-pip and redis installs, but already had the latest versions. After a reboot, the Admin page shows I’m still running 10.2.6 and for OS, Linux 5.4.51-v7+. Service-runner is now running and I just finished creating a backup. If I can find a way to install the emonSD-24Jul20 release and keep my existing Dataplicity wormhole URL, I’ll do it (seems that’s not possible, but if you know a way, let me know!).Thank you borpin and other contributors to this thread.

If you are using the free version, can you not just deauthorise the current install, and reinstall?

See Dataplicity reinstall after microsd fail - #5 by TrystanLea

1 Like

@TrystanLea, just tripped over this. PR to fix.

Will not fix it for anyone upgrading before this is merged.

Thanks @borpin this has now been merged to both master and stable.

1 Like

Lets hope it fixes it :slight_smile:

I have just installed using EmonScripts onto the Raspberry Pi3 (Buster Lite dated 20-August) and found service-runner not working;

sudo pip3 install redis

Seems to have fixed it.