Samsung MIM-C02N S-NET Pro Dongle

Hi Glyn.

1. Do I recall you mentioning the MIM-C02N for ASHP monitoring (but dismissing it as not very helpful except for initial commissioning)? It’s expensive (£200 from Midsummer) but looking at the manual it looks like it might be useful to understand some of the Samsung controller algoithms.

2. Ref Quiet Mode. Samsung sent me the following table:
    image003
    I infer from this that this mode will reduce the compressor speed to about 60% of nameplate when the default (low-noise) option is enabled. (The other levels require access to the outdoor unit circuit board to select.)

3. I tried Quiet Mode on DHW and it does indeed use less peak power, but it does so for longer (same number of kJ required for tank heating, so no overall power saving).

Sarah

Sorry, if I’ve caused confusion moving this to a new topic, I just thought that discussing MIM-C02N merits its own topic.

The Samsung S-Net Pro Dongle MIM-CO2N allows your to connect a Samsung heat pump to a Windows PC running Samsung S-net software.

This S-Net software shows all the diagnostic sensor info from the HP and allows the FSVs to be adjusted. It also allows the firmware of the outdoor and indoor units to be updated. Here are some screenshots:

While it’s nice to be able to see all this extra info, the logging and graphing tools on S-net are very limited compared to OpenEnergyMonitor Emoncms, although I am biased! :slight_smile:

I’ve found the MIM-CO2N is mostly useful for checking FW versions and updating FW. Also for sending data logs to Samsung technical if a unit has any issues.

In terms of monitoring the system and understanding performance, the MIM-B19N Samsung Mobus interface is more useful, EmonHub supports reading from the MIM-B19N via a modbus adaptor to get the data into Emoncms where it can be data logged and put into the Emoncms MyHeatPump graph

However, the MIM-B19N only reads data from the onboard sensors, which I’ve found to not be very accurate, for independent accurate billing grade COP calculation the Level 3 HP Monitoring Bundle is the best option.

There should be some efficiency gains since heat transfer via the coil will be more efficient at lower power, although the trade-off vs re-heat time may not be worthwhile. Here’s an excellent blog by @Zarch where he looks at the effect of lowering the power during DHW, he’s got a Vaillant Arotherm and a Mixergy, but the physics of heat transfer will be the same for Samsung!

1 Like

Thanks Glyn, useful data.

But with my winter mean total household energy consumption of 22kWh/day (about £6/day) it’s hard to justify spending much on monitoring equipment… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Sarah

I was wondering how you did it! have samsung tech given you any meaningful info about different firmware version behaviours?

No, apparently the UK Samsung technical don’t get to see any FW change logs themselves :roll_eyes:

I have a AE050RXYDEG-EU heat pump.

All I know is that updating my indoor controller MIME03CN (DB91-02103B) to 220614 seem to fix my pump PWM. It wasn’t modulating at all before, now it’s modulating correctly :slight_smile:

My Main Micom (DB91-02091B) is running firmware 190704, the latest firmware for this is
221130. However, without a changelog and because my HP is working well, I’m a bit hesitant to update. There’s no path to roll back without involving Samsung support. I’ll probably do it in the Spring when HP operation is less critical!

The FW files can be downloaded from https://partnerhub.samsung.com with an installer login.

Hi Glyn, is there any way of updating the firmware without buying the dongle?

I’d have to get my hands on a windows pc as well, so it would be a significant expense just for an update of firmware

No, dongle is essential as far as I know for FW update.

• sent from my mobile device

Hi Glyn.
Finally connected the C02N today :slightly_smiling_face:.
The spreadsheet shows Main Micom version DB91-02450A 220706 and EEPROM version DB82-07081A 220622.
Are these the latest as far as you know?
(The online manual is not very helpful about FW updates…)
Thanks,
Sarah

Nice work!

I think partner hub is showing that DB91-02450A_220706 is the latest version for your HP

Same for the EEPROM

1 Like

Thanks for that @glyn.hudson.

I’ve been busy trying to reverse engineer my HTQ using your C02N and it has given me some interesting data for DHW and CH runs. (Though I won’t be able to scan a defrost cycle for a few months :face_with_diagonal_mouth:. Did you ever collect spreadsheet data over defrost?)

Also, did you ever figure out how to extract compressor power? There’s a column called “Compressor Current (degC)” ( :face_with_raised_eyebrow:!) but even if it’s really amps it makes no sense, with numbers around 2.5 when the remote display was showing about 1.2kW and the calculated heat to CH (from m.Cp.DT) was about 4.5kW (a believable 3.75 CoP for an ambient 8degC). (Just a thought - if I double the readings the numbers make sense. 2.5 x 250V = 625W, if I double this I get 1250W which is what the remote display was showing…)

Finally there’s a column called “OCT1 (degC)” with values ~10-18 when heating. Any idea what this is? (Samsung Tech Hotline hadn’t a clue…)

Thanks again.

Great! Please share your findings

No spreadsheet but I’ve got plenty of data on defrosts.

Here’s a typical defrost when its -1C outside: Emoncms - app view dashboard

If we zoom in on just the defrost section, we can see it took 5min to defrost and used 0.031kWh of elec and extracted 0.24kWh of heat from the house, which reduced the return temp by 8C. However, the heat has previously been provided in the prior 30min with a COP of 3.1 therefore the heat extracted equates to only 0.077kWh of elec in total to defrost used the equivalent of 0.11kWh of elec.

When it’s -1C outside, defrosts happen about every 60min: