Rfm69pi v3.1 DOA ? no minicom response, no LED

UPDATE: openenergymonitor provided fast support and shipped a working replacement part.

Hi, I’ve just received a new rfm69pi v3.1 (and a couple of emonTX V3’s ) and have spent the best part of a day trying to get something working, to no avail.

The first few times I powered up the raspberri pi (2B running raspbian wheezy) , the LED on the board turned solid red after a while. After solving permission issues and disabling kernel console and inittab console on ttyAMA0, i’m still getting “Device communication error - check settings” from emonhub.log

-I’ve tried 9600, 38400 and 57600 baud (powercycling between every attempt)
-I’ve tried stopping emonhub and using minicom with all baud rates - result: no data whatsoever after “Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys”, and no response to any commands
-I’ve tried 2 different Raspberry Pi 2 boards
-I’ve tried using emonSD-17Jun2015.img (same result: no response in minicom, emonhub has error as above)
-I’ve tried a really beefy USB power supply, and removing the wifi dongle, in case of power issues
-I’ve insulated the antenna solder point from the GPIO headers on the pi so it doesnt short.
-I’ve tried reflashing the firmware via the PI (results in a whole heap of avrdude-original: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding. avrdude-original: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00)

So, after a frustrating day of no results, is it safe to assume this module is dead?
If anyone has any ideas, i’d be super keen to hear them!

Regards

Hi Rob, very sorry for the hassle. It does indeed sounds like a hardware fault. Thanks a lot for posting your comprehensive testing. We will send you a replacement today. This replacement has been tested to be functional.

Thanks for the fast response Glyn. Looking forward to a successful result!

1 Like

Hi, package received, I plugged it in and it worked immediately.

Can you comment on the most likely cause of the DOA part; in particular - can you provide future buyers any confidence that your QA process is improving?

Thanks again for the excellent support and fast turnaround.