I have added a way for RFM69Pi users to easily update firmware on the unit directly from Emoncms.
The Emoncms update is currently in the ‘master’ branch, it will be merged into stable once further user testing is complete.
Update: It’s been merged into Emoncms stable branch, see post below
Using GitHub releases for firmware deployment has several advantages:
- Gets around the problem of users having non-commited (custom) changes in their local repos, this stops the repo from updating
- Each firmware release is tagged with a version number and description which is linked back to a specific commit so we can be totally sure of the version
- Version number can be displayed in the update log
- The github releases pages serves as a firmware release log
- Fimware can easily be rolled back by specifing a version number of release
In the future I would like to move emonPi firmware deployment to github releases. It’s already used by emonTx, emonTH and emonupload tool: