RFM12Pi To Raspberry Pi Via WiFi with ESP8266

I have been using a RFM2Pi (aka RFM12Pi) with a hardwired serial connection to a Raspberry Pi for the last 4 years with no problems. My RFM12Pi has a RFM69 rather than RFM12. This is how I have been getting data from various EmonTH sensors with RFM69 transmitters to Emoncms.

Recently I decided to try a WiFi connection to the Pi instead of hardwired. After trying a few RFM69 to WiFi gateways, I decided to use a “esp-link” running on a Wemos D1 Mini with the existing RFM2Pi hardware/software. This solution is from the great people at JeeLabs ( GitHub - jeelabs/esp-link: esp8266 wifi-serial bridge, outbound TCP, and arduino/AVR/LPC/NXP programmer ). It turned out to work very well, and the web interface built-in to the esp-link software has a feature to view incoming data. No modifications were necessary to my RFM2Pi. I would highly recommend this solution.

Tom,

Have you had a look at this?

Hi Tom
Could you describe in more detail please, what you have done.
How are you communicating, via MQTT?

Like you, I prefer a wifi link rather than RF, but unsure what you’ve actually done here…

You bet. Thought it might be a source of ideas you would find interesting and/or useful.

Given a Wi-Fi link is RF too, would it be better to say a UHF link? or RFM link? :wink: :grin:
I’m in the same boat. Prefer Wi-Fi over the 433 MHz stuff.