Redis failed on boot - new system on USB drive

Hi,

Just setting up a new system to replace one I built a long time ago to connect an brand new emonTx4 to for our new build.

Bought a microSD with the latest image on it alongside the emonTx4.

Plugged it in to a Pi3B with a USB hard drive and 5A supply. Booted up and everything seems OK. Set up wifi, SSH etc as normal. Rebooted and I can SSH into the new system. Update and Upgrade run OK with no errors.

I then used Bill Wilson’s rpi-clone to clone the system to the USB.

Now when I reboot I get some errors towards the end about Redis failing. And trying to log onto the web page 192.168.x.x/emoncms I get:

Fatal error : Uncaught RedisException: Connection refused in /var/www/emoncms/index.php:39 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/emoncms/index.php(39): Redis->connect() #1 {main} thrown in /var/www/emoncms/index.php on line 39

I’ve probably done something really stupid but I don’t know enough about Linux to work out what’s wrong and Google isn’t helping with any suggestions.

Could anyone with more expertise give me a steer as to how to fix this please.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Did you let everything run at first boot? It takes forever (it seems) to do all the initial updates etc.

I don’t know how rpi-clone works, but this is not a standard setup for an RPi (different partitions primarily).

Why do you need the clone? An Emoncms backup is sufficient.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yep, I let everything run at first boot, it didn’t seem to take that long.

rpi-clone is simply a command line way of cloning an SD to a USB drive - it doesn’t make any changes to the partitions, except for making the last one fit the whole drive.

I wonder if it’s because I’ve already started booted from the SD and then created the clone on the USB drive?

Simon

I’m unclear why you are cloning it in the first place? A USB drive (unless it is an SSD) is not less prone to failure than the SDCard. In fact, with the high quality SD Cards OEM supply, the USB is probably worse.

Be that as it may, it’s what I’m doing and even though SD cards might be as prone as USB drives, it would be good to understand what has caused the issue. I’m sure I won’t be the last person doing this. And I’d like to get it running.

Simon

Sorry, can’t help further. Not something I have ever done or have anything that allows me to troubleshoot.