Recommendations for compatible optical sensor cable (RJ45)

Hi all,

Does anyone recommend an optical sensor cable (RJ45) that is compatible to the one OpenEnergy sells? I need to source this in 1-2 business days for an urgent project, and even though I’d like to buy from OEM (to support them) between waiting time and package charges, I am limited on time and funds for this project.

Thank you very much!
/rob

What length do you want? The pins used are given on the shop page, however the signal is TTL, and the pins used for GND & Data don’t correspond with one of the pairs in a standard Cat 3/4/5/6 cable. I would not expect a problem with a standard network cable if it is short, but if the length heads into the tens of metres, or if you have a source of interference close by, I would expect problems.

If you are able to make up your own cable, I’d put pins 5 (GND) & 6 (Data) on one pair, pin 2 (Power) can be anything and what you do with the rest doesn’t matter, but still connect them.

Rob - With the OEM optical sensor I used a female to female RJ45 Ethernet Coupler and a 4-5 meter piece of Cat 6 ethernet cable. Seems to work A-OK.

Yup, any patch RJ45 Ethernet cable will work, we sell the extender link in the shop:

https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/rj45-extender/

Thanks, guys.

I just ordered some more from OEM today. However, I just had a new urgent need today to source for Wednesday morning this week. Does anyone have a suggestion for the optical reader here in the US? What make/model? Sources to purchase? I’m in a bit of a bind, and I cannot count on waiting for the one from OEM to arrive by Wednesday. (BTW, we purchased another 4 emonpis - that’s 8 we’ll be using!)

Thank you,
/rob

1 Like