Raspberry Pi wifi MAC address

I know this might sound silly…

I use mac address from all network cards to identify them and also to allow only registered cards on my wifi (low level security part). Mostly it is easy to find the mac address but on the pi I have a hard time to find it.
In terminal ifconfig doesn’t find any and wlan0 seems not to exist neither.
For now I have no clue how to find it and I can imagine someone else with even less knowledge in terminal will never ever find it
So I was wondering if it was possible to add a line in emoncms/wifi module showing the mac address of the card installed.
Might be just that little thing making it easy.

(and now back to terminal and continue my investigation dr. Watson )

[Edit: Typo in title corrected - RW]

1 Like

cat /sys/class/net/wlan0/address

Is one way to get the MAC address in a terminal, BUT if you do not see wlan0 when you run ifconfig this method won’t work either as the interface isn’t configured/recognized.

You need to add an SSID and passkey to sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and then run sudo ifup wlan0

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

If you use Android, I’d recommend ‘Fing’ from the Play App Store. Give all sorts of network information including the mac address of all connected devices to the same wifi network.