Python script to import Octopus Agile consumption data into emoncms

I’d had a look and was wondering. You need the last data value out of the feed as your starting point!

https://YOURIP/feed/value.json?id=1

@borpin

I fixed the problem with the cum starting point yesterday - both for first run and subsequent runs.
And yesterday with two fresh empty feeds, it ran OK.
And the daily cronjob ran successfully this AM - the previous cum advanced - so good to go …

octopus_consumption_TL+JB_v2.zip (1.8 KB)

Recommendation - if you’ve previously run Trystan’s original script and only have daily data, it’s best to create two fresh empty feeds before running this modified script.

1 Like

managed to get in to SSH now (was not enabled) Any help with what to do now. I suspect I need to copy the script somewhere first (onto the EmonPi), not a clue how to do this I can then see that you run the command to set it to run at the prompt. Sorry for being so daft :frowning:

John

@TrystanLea, can you drop this into UsefulScripts please?

Done: usefulscripts/octopus at master · emoncms/usefulscripts · GitHub

I’ve added this in

I havent added this in yet.

I use the Octopus Agile emoncms app to do this.

Yes

I’ve added the script to the usefulscripts repository as @borpin suggested.

Here are the steps to use the new location:

1. Run Emoncms update to pull in the latest version of the usefulscripts repository

2. SSH onto the Pi and navigate to the agile script directory:

cd /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts/octopus

3. Create config file from default:

cp default.agile.conf agile.conf

4. Enter configuration including emoncms apikey and authentication and meter details from Octopus

nano agile.conf

5. Run script for the first time to pull in data:

python3 agile.py

6. Run script from crontab every morning to pull in latest data:

30 9 * * * /usr/bin/python3 /opt/emoncms/modules/usefulscripts/octopus/agile.py > /dev/null 2>&1

This example runs the script at 9:30am every morning, consider changing the exact timing to reduce simultaneous load on the octopus servers from lots of pi’s calling this script at the same time (Probably not an issue but hey…)

1 Like

But it doesn’t ‘compare’ it just uses it instead? I was hoping for a means to check the accuracy of the measured figures. I couldn’t work out how to do it on the Graphs.

I have worked out that the easiest way to check between 2 accumulating feeds, is to graph one on the left scale, one on right and compare the diff figure in statistics. Once I have that I can then apply a scaling multiplier in the Input Process. Has been quite successful.

Perhaps this could be done as an app where you can select 2 (or more) different feeds for comparison (e.g. Agile, Pulse, CT)?

1 Like

If you open the browser console window on the emoncms app, it prints this information out:

1 Like

Good idea as well!

I seem to be getting quite a few data outages on my half hourly data from the smart meter, i often have full days missing, but then clearing the feed and re-running the script from the start seems to pull the missing historic data in again… do octopus query for this missing data at the end of the month/week?

At the moment Im missing new data since the September 24th and am missing both 21nd and 22nd of September but older missing days have now appeared after I cleared the feed and re-imported from the start…

Processing a cumulative feed from this would require going back and reprocessing when the missing days become available… will have to think how best to do this…

I haven’t tried the script yet but FYI my Octopus (Go) data has frozen
on the website since the 24th September too so there may be a wider issue.

1 Like

Oh that is obvious… :rofl:.

1 Like

I think Octopus are having issues. I have an open ticket re missing data and they say it isn’t just me.

1 Like

I did mention it in the other thread on the agile app Octopus Agile emoncms app - #111 by TrystanLea but I dont blame you for not seeing it. This and the comparison feature needs to be added to the guide documentation…

1 Like

Should probably just include the info below the tickbox selector…

1 Like

I’m noticing a few gaps too - it’s at the Octopus end, usually. They sometimes need a chase, but they will have to re-fetch it before a bill is issued. It is the subject of some debate on the Octopus Agile forum atm.

FWIW I wrote a Node-RED flow that will backfill data for the missing slots, if that’s useful to anyone. It uses the same method as the editrealtime visualisation (ie. pokes it in via the update url, rather than the input one). Works well for me so far. Needs moderately careful handling insofar as you need to put the period from/to in correctly, and I’m longing for a decent ‘calendar style date-picker’ to refine the Node-Red flow somewhat - but it works…

Shout if wanted. Not sure whether to just post it here or whether that’s a breach of local etiquette.

1 Like

I wouldn’t regard it as such - it definitely falls within the remit of Open Energy Monitoring.

It was more the angle of ‘posting something in a different coding paradigm to someone else’s thread about their own work/different codebase’. I did this on another thread and wasn’t sure, and then later saw someone else on another thread being told to post their stuff in a new thread… so I figured I’d ask! :wink:

If a better place emerges, we can always move it (even if you can’t!).

Fair play… here goes then!

Click to view Octopus API specific-day backfill Node-RED flow code
[
    {
        "id": "dda3a2d6.12063",
        "type": "tab",
        "label": "Octopus Agile Specific Day",
        "disabled": false,
        "info": ""
    },
    {
        "id": "731abbac.7c1e84",
        "type": "http request",
        "z": "dda3a2d6.12063",
        "name": "Octopus API http-request",
        "method": "GET",
        "ret": "obj",
        "paytoqs": "ignore",
        "url": "",
        "tls": "",
        "persist": false,
        "proxy": "",
        "authType": "basic",
        "x": 230,
        "y": 220,
        "wires": [
            [
                "5be2a24d.fb9ccc",
                "4656ec43.52e5f4"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "2e3bf84d.b0e6c8",
        "type": "inject",
        "name": "Trigger",
        "props": [
            {
                "p": "payload"
            },
            {
                "p": "topic",
                "vt": "str"
            }
        ],
        "repeat": "",
        "crontab": "00 08 * * *",
        "once": false,
        "onceDelay": 0.1,
        "topic": "",
        "payload": "",
        "payloadType": "date",
        "x": 120,
        "y": 100,
            [
                "eb641d81.0f7dc"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "eb641d81.0f7dc",
        "type": "function",
        "name": "Build Octopus API URL",
        "func": "var newmsg = {};\n\nvar host = \"https://api.octopus.energy/v1\";\nvar mpan = \"YOUR_MPAN_HERE\";\nvar meter = \"YOUR_METER_NUM_HERE\";\n\nnewmsg.url = host;\nnewmsg.url += \"/electricity-meter-points/\" + mpan;\nnewmsg.url += \"/meters/\" + meter;\nnewmsg.url += \"/consumption\";\nnewmsg.url += \"?period_from=2020-10-03T23:30Z\";\nnewmsg.url += \"&period_to=2020-10-04T23:30Z\";\nnewmsg.url += \"&order_by=period\";\n\nreturn newmsg;",
        "outputs": 1,
        "noerr": 0,
        "initialize": "",
        "finalize": "",
        "x": 190,
        "y": 160,
            [
                "731abbac.7c1e84"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "962d3ef1.417c7",
        "type": "comment",
        "name": "Instructions for use",
        "info": "### First-time Preparation\n\n1 - Modify the 'Build Octopus API URL' function node with your meter details (MPAN and meter number). \n\n2 - Input your Octopus APIKey into the Username field in the 'Octopus API http-request node. Leave password blank.\n\n3 - Modify the 'Backfill data to chosen period' node with your EmonCMS write API key, and the feed id number of the feed you are backfilling data to (this step is crucial to get correct, or the new data you fetch could wreck a different feed than intended!!). \nYou can determine your chosen feed's correct ID number by viewing it in a Graph display - it'll be listed at the bottom panel where the colours and charting features are selected, preceding the feed name.\n\n4 - Also in the 'Backfill data to chosen period' node, change the hostname of the newmsg.url, so that it points to your local EmonCMS installation correctly. (NB. May work with emonCMS.org, but currently untested. Use at your own risk!)\n\n### Performing a 'run'\n\n1 - in the 'Build Octopus API URL' node, set the 'period_from' and 'period_to' items correctly. Best to just change the year/month/day parts accordingly; the current time settings will fetch what Octopus generally considers 'day-end' and 'day-start' limits, and handle (ignore) any ongoing daylight-savings in force at the time.\n\n2 - Select any debug nodes you wish to view/suppress, according to your taste.\n\n3 - Deploy the NodeRed Flow!\n\n4 - Press the button on the Trigger node to begin the run.\n\n",
        "x": 310,
        "y": 40,
        "wires": []
    },
    {
        "id": "5be2a24d.fb9ccc",
        "type": "debug",
        "name": "Octopus return-data debug",
        "active": true,
        "tosidebar": true,
        "console": false,
        "tostatus": false,
        "complete": "payload",
        "targetType": "msg",
        "statusVal": "",
        "statusType": "auto",
        "x": 520,
        "y": 220,
    },
    {
        "id": "4656ec43.52e5f4",
        "type": "function",
        "name": "Backfill data to chosen period",
        "func": "var apikey = \"YOUR_EMONCMS_WRITE_KEY\"; //your EmonCMS write APIkey\nvar feedid = YOUR_FEED_ID; //change this to the correct Feed ID!!\nvar host = \"http://YOUR_EMONCMS_HOST\"; //your local EmonCMS server address\n\nvar fetchedarr = msg.payload.results;\nfetchedarr.forEach(dataParse);\n\nfunction dataParse(item,index,arr) {\n\n    var newmsg = {};\n    \n    newmsg.payload  = {};\n    newmsg.payload.apikey = apikey;\n    newmsg.payload.id = feedid; \n    newmsg.payload.time = Date.parse(arr[index].interval_start)/1000;\n    newmsg.payload.value = arr[index].consumption;\n    newmsg.payload.skipbuffer = 1; //what does this do??\n    \n    newmsg.url = host + \"/feed/update.json\";\n    \n    node.send(newmsg);\n}",
        "outputs": 1,
        "noerr": 0,
        "initialize": "",
        "finalize": "",
        "x": 260,
        "y": 280,
            [
                "2aa7f578.b6f46a"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "78b2d951.0095d8",
        "type": "http request",
        "name": "send to EmonCMS",
        "method": "GET",
        "ret": "txt",
        "paytoqs": "query",
        "url": "",
        "tls": "",
        "persist": false,
        "proxy": "",
        "authType": "",
        "x": 270,
        "y": 400,
            [
                "5e8837bd.9fe058"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "2aa7f578.b6f46a",
        "type": "delay",
        "name": "",
        "pauseType": "rate",
        "timeout": "5",
        "timeoutUnits": "seconds",
        "rate": "1",
        "nbRateUnits": "2",
        "rateUnits": "second",
        "randomFirst": "1",
        "randomLast": "5",
        "randomUnits": "seconds",
        "drop": false,
        "x": 240,
        "y": 340,
            [
                "78b2d951.0095d8",
                "e8e5e44f.eee338"
            ]
        ]
    },
    {
        "id": "5e8837bd.9fe058",
        "name": "emoncms debug",
        "active": true,
        "complete": "true",
        "targetType": "full",
        "x": 530,
        "y": 400,
    },
    {
        "id": "e8e5e44f.eee338",
        "name": "backfill data debug",
        "active": false,
        "complete": "true",
        "targetType": "full",
        "x": 530,
        "y": 340,
    }
]

Should look vaguely like this when imported successfully:

(and kudos to @borpin for inspiration in the first place!)

1 Like