Post from EMONPi to EMONBase

Hello
I’m setting up a airsource heat pump / Tesla battery system, in quite a large house, where RFM isnt realistic.

So I have an EMONTx with 8266 wifi setup, talking nicely to a EMONBase running EMONCMS, using MQTT

I needed more sensors, elswehere, so decided to have variety by buying a Pi + EMON Shield - which is now running well as a standalone.

However, I can’t figure out how to send the data from the new Pi+Shield to the EMONBase - I guess I could do this with another 8266 setup on the shield, but I had hoped to use the Wifi on Pi attached to the shield to do this. (I can send to MQTT, but thats the MQTT on the Pi + Shield, not on the Base…)

Newbie question, sorry. Just cant find the answer in the FAQs or instructions

You need to check that the NodeIDs will not clash - if you look on the inputs page of your 2 emoncms instances, are there any nodes that are the same? I doubt there are.

The simplest way to do this, is on the Pi with the shield, edit the emonhub configuration.

On the left menu, click on emonhub and in the top right of the subsequent page, edit config

Scroll down to the section [[MQTT]]

Copy all of that section down to the next one in double brackets [[]], and then paste that as a new section.

Rename it something like [[MQTT-PiShield]] and edit the mqtt_host of this new section to be the IP address of the EmonBase.

Click save and then restart (in top right hand corner.

Click on view log and see if everything looks OK and there are no errors.

You should see the new inputs appear on the EmonBase. All you need to do is setup the processing of these new inputs to create the feeds.

Astounding. Works perfectly. Thank you very much Brian
Onwards… little steps every day. Now to solder up some temperature probes…

Thanks for the support. Huge appreciation

Damien

Ha no bother - I’m surprised I got it right first time as well!

What I have learnt (the hard way), is that it is better to get a crimp kit and crimp on connectors so you can change them easily! I solder a connector with flying leads to the Wemos D1 or whatever then plug the sensor in to that.