Owl Intuition is becoming a paid service

Hello - I realise this is a very old thread but I thought I’d try and resurrect my Owl network unit. Of course the batteries in the transmitter have been flat for quite a while and so the network unit is no longer receiving any data. Did anyone figure out how to re-pair the transmitter and receiver without a subscription? I didn’t realise until this point that the hardware if effectively completely useless as you can’t even change batteries without paying £10/year for the privilege.

TIA

/Simon

I didn’t think the network owl lost the pairing. Certainly I’ve had a battery run out on a device in summer before and I had no issue when I put a new battery a few months later in October.

I’ve not tried it but I believe that the SCAN command in the published API for UDP comms actually initiates pairing. Assuming that pairs it then you’ll need to use some of the other commands in there to make it do what you want, unless you’re after monitoring in which case emon is supposed to achieve this.

Thanks I will try the SCAN command. I’m not seeing any blue flashes so I believe it’s no longer paired.

If anyone want to get off the subscription, I have written a couple of Node-Red flows that enables pretty every setting to be changed.
This flow is just for a way to send commands to the Owl hub like Boost or Away but structuring the commands for anything complicated with times and dates is tricky.
https://flows.nodered.org/flow/9de1840f1b293f1ed6640b55e0ec9020
This second flow (too big to store in the Node Red repository!) takes all the effort away and you can do pretty much everything you could do with the paid for service.

Node-Red is a free downloadable application that you can run on a windows PC. Copy either of the flows from links above and Import it into Node-Red. A few things will need tweaking, like your own UDP access code and some IP addresses. The larger flow also contains nodes to link to Alexa; they need a lot more set up behind the scenes and can just be deleted if not working for you.
I run the larger of the flows on a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant with Node-Red as an Add-on. I have also run it successfully on my Windows 10 PC, just in Node-Red.
Comment if you find it useful.

Welcome, Graham, to the OEM community.

This looks a really useful contribution, thank you for posting.

You might like to copy the file to here - that way it’s independent of Github. We always prefer contributions to be uploaded here in preference to relying on third party sites. If there’s a size limitation on you, we’ll get it fixed.

Here’s the big Flow that does it all. Refer to the link above for full instructions. I think there are only 2 Nodes to change. 1) the one to append your own 8 character UDP code to the messages. You can get it from the official Owl Dashboard. and 2) the Node that sends the UDP message to your owl needs your Owl Hub’s IP address.

Just tried to paste it in but I’m told it’s too big at nearly 100k characters!

You should be able to save it in a file, and attach that.