OpenEVSE to emoncms shows "Connected : No"

I have entered the settings on the Energy Monitor panel on the Services section on OpenEVSE WiFi. I then registered on data.openevse.com, grabbed the write-apikey and tried to save the settings… Connected stays showing “No”. If I enter a random bit of text in the api key field it does say that it is not valid. Checking the requests in Chrome dev tools shows the requests getting sent to the emoncms server.

Am I missing something obvious - is there configuration required on the emoncms side. I looked at the video guide on setting up the emoncms - I can’t see any of the openevse data on the inputs section, but if it is not connecting then seems that this would be expected.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don’t know but I suggest you try and take the `/emoncms’ part off the domain name.

There is also an Openevse forum OpenEVSE Forums : Support

If Brian’s suggestions go nowhere, I think Glyn will be back at the end of this coming week.

Thanks for the tip on the support desk! I found this article

The steps needed are as follows:

1. Add a device under the emoncms Device Setup:

2. Initialise the device - this is what was missing!
    2_InitialiseDevice

The node name of the device is, of course, what is added to the emoncms settings on the OpenEVSE. Once I completed step 1 and 2 above and copied the Device access key to the write-api key setting and saved, it connected immediately.

Some confusion on which key to use for the api, as there is one on your profile on emoncms and one for each device you add to emoncms. You have to use the one from the device as mentioned in the linked article.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you got it up and running, did you see our OpenEnergyMonitor specific setup guide: OpenEVSE / EmonEVSE Setup Guide - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor

I have watched both videos. There is however a slight disconnect. If you follow the OpenEVSE setup video and then the emonCMS, the actual experience is not quite the same. I appreciate that the videos are based in some instances on the beta version of emoncms.

This forum is a wonderful place to share the experiences and help each other out.

Yes, this is because the OpenEnergyMonitor guide uses Emoncms.org instead of data.openevse. Emoncms.org runs a newer version of Emoncm with easier to use setup procedure.

Hey guys, no matter what I try I cannot get the API key to be accepted and have the emonevse to connect to emoncms.org I tried copying it directly and it still refuses. I am running 4.0.0 on the evse, and I think it has internet access.

Nevermind, I was using the wrong API key. .you want the account write key, not the node key. A bit confusing.

My situation is: OpenEVSE, have had it working with emoncms.org, just built a local emoncms server. I have created and initialized the device, and had it generate a Device Access Key. I get “Connected: No. Failed to connect”. For the Emoncms server I’m using $HOST_NAME/emoncms, and the Device Access Key. I’ve also tried the Read & Write Key from the Input API page, and the user account API key. I’m not finding any logging on the Emoncms server, nor on the OpenEVSE, that are useful, so I don’t know how to troubleshoot this, beyond reading all of the support articles that I can find.

Hi,

can you ping emonpi.local from a PC on the network? Many routers will not resolve the name in that format. either look at the router’s DHCP list and see if you can ping the name the Pi has registered itself as or do as I have give the Pi a static IP address and then use the IP address in place of the name.

John

1 Like

Yes, hostname resolves, I have also tried using the IP address in place of the hostname.

Hi,

bit out of ideas now, only other thing you could try is seeing if you enable MQTT and see is that connects to your Pi.

John

1 Like

Thanks John. No, it will not connect to MQTT on the local server.

I’m poking around on the emonpi server to see if there are any logs that would show connectivity errors, not finding anything so far. In reading through the emonpi docs, it seems like once the software is installed and a device configured, there is nothing else that needs doing on the server side? Do you know of any troubleshooting docs for emoncms emonpi?

After playing around some more, yes, I can get the OpenEVSE to connect to the local emonpi MQTT service. But still no luck connecting to the Emoncms service.

/emoncms should not be required in the emonpi hostname try just emonpi.local

1 Like

does not work with either emonpi.local, $IP_ADDR, or $IP_ADDR/emoncms. Have tried both the user read/write API key and the device API key.

Would there be any service logs on the emonpi that would indicate what the issue is?