After changing my OpenEVSE setup to use the feed ‘emon/emonpi/power2’ plus changing the Mode to Production my solar generation is now very accurately tracked by the car and no energy is wasted. However, when other house loads are switched on the extra power only comes from the grid, there is no corresponding reduction in ev use to balance the load even if I enable the ‘No Import’ filter.
I would like the ev power to reduce as the house load increases to maintain a balance with the available solar power. Is this possible?
I am including some information images below in the hope that someone will spot my setup error.
At the risk of steering you wrong again, I recognise what you describe and it is the reason why in my installation the value I published to MQTT for the EVSE was equivalent to “Solar production minus household consumption minus a margin for error”
I don’t know how you can achieve that MQTT feed on the current software, but maybe someone else here can
You will need to change the MQTT feed to emon/emonpi/power1 and the Mode to Export.
According to your diagram CT1 is your grid import, the CT must be orientated, so the reading is positive import/negative export.
But as I mentioned previously, from my experience using Production mode and the PV generation often works better. You can adjust the PV power ratio to allow for household loads. It depends on your use case, but in my experience the household loads are small compared the EV.
Please look at the diagram again. The Emon pi grid monitor is CT2, it’s located between Henley block 1 and Henley block 2. There is another CT monitoring the grid but that is for the diverter.
Are you saying that the way my system is working is correct for Production mode?