OpenEVSE MQTT back to EmonCMS

To expand. Is the Mosquitto MQTT server apart of EmonCMS or separate? Also, since this is a fresh install I’m beginning to wonder if there might have been an update to Mosquitto MQTT server that might have broken something. Not sure if you guys have updated your own and ran into this. That said, I could reinstall Mosquitto MQTT server just to see if maybe something in the script caused a bad install. Does the script just install Mosquitto or does it do anything else?

Totally separate. You should focus on getting MQTT Explorer to connect reliably to Mosquitto server before thinking about Emoncms. The script just installs Mosquitto and Mosquitto PHP plugin:

Try adding the following to mosquitto.conf

listener 1883

Then restart mosquitto and try and connect with MQTT explorer.

Well, adding that made a difference.

So, now that I’m connected. Time to see if OpenEVSE is getting anywhere. But, it’s a nice change. I think I added that before but got no love. Though, I might have forgot to restart MQTT.

Excellent, what version of mosquitto are you running? I think the requirement for listener 1883 was added in a newer version that we currently use.

I can see the openevse is connecting successfully, you should be good to go now.

I’ll add listener 1883 to our install script.

I’ll get the version when I get home. I was starting to wonder if maybe I just happened to have gotten a newer version and a requirement changed, but it’s good to see I got the catch the change so we can nib this in the bud now. Both OpenEVSE are connection via MQTT and uploading to EmonCMS. Now I just need to flip my CTs for IotaWatt as it looks like my guess was 180 degrees off. Then build some Feeds.

1 Like

Look like it’s version 2.0.11

||/ Name           Version         Architecture Description
+++-==============-===============-============-====================================================
ii  mosquitto      2.0.11-1ubuntu1 amd64        MQTT version 5.0/3.1.1/3.1 compatible message broker

Interesting, the version on our image is also 2.0.11, however looking at mosquitto.conf it looks like listener 1883 is present, it must have been added in later but not included in the installation script.

Do you recall this @TrystanLea?

Sorry for the hassle, thanks for helping us to fix this.

No worries. Next up for me is that it appears that EmonCMS is locking up after running for an extended time. I’m still troubleshooting that to confirm it’s not a fluke as I also appear to have an IotaWatt that is out of commission now, possible corrupted SD Card maybe or something else. lol. Home reno and tech is a fun mix.

I raised it in May. Problem with Mosquitto starting in Local mode - #5 by borpin

Ah right, thanks.

1 Like