openEVSE Charger – Safety Warning

@glyn.hudson

I’ve a single phase charger built from a kit to which I added the latest Wifi card a couple of months ago. It’s been running fine until a couple of weeks ago.

On 2 or 3 occasions the openEVSE webpage gave a Safety Warning, openEVSE appeared to be frozen (tho’ the webpage responded when refreshed) but the powered by version showed 0.0.0. The following 4 screenshots give the full picture:

My solution has been to try enabling the Safety Warnings but as this did not work then to press buttons, issue RAPI commands and try updating both firmwares. This never solved the problem but after time 1hr+ the Safety Warning would go away seemly of its own accord.

Until yesterday (Weds) I had not documented things:

The EV (Tesla) charged overnight under Demand Shaper SMART control. The EV remained connected throughout the day (Weds). A couple of times thru’ the day I checked the webpages for Demand Shaper and openEVSE – all as expected OK with openEVSE showing WAITING because ECO mode was set.

Then at 5pm I noticed the Safety Warning had appeared but decided to take no action but to see what happened.

At 8:15pm a cron script ran. Its function to check if the EV is connected and if not to send an advisory text message – this script has been working for weeks.

The script first checks the openEVSE state and if 254 (sleeping) a $FE enable is sent followed by a $FR reset. As the EV was connected, charging then started and ran for a short while until target_soc was reached. This is an annoying behaviour but a separate issue as is the amount of time openEVSE is in 254 – see screenshot – just 5mins in state 2 after the charging stopped then back to 254.

Before going to bed late, with the Safety Warning still showing I ran @TrystanLea’s latest script to correctly set up Demand Shaper SMART which it did – just 7 mins of charge to happen (but it had charged fully earlier in the evening).

Lo & behold – the Safety Warning had disappeared – situation back to normal.

A coincidence? If not - why should/how could Demand Shaper SMART affect openEVSE in this way?

I believe Demand Shaper updates its Agile forward tariff info in the PM and I first noticed the Safety Warning at 5pm – am I clutching at straws?

Would very much welcome yr suggestions - thx

@glyn.hudson

By way of update …

The EV has been connected all day.

Until just after 4pm everything was normal – openEVSE WAITING in Sleeping state 254. But then the Safety Warning appeared.

Just after 5pm I ran @TrystanLea’s latest script to correctly set up Demand Shaper SMART but that did NOT change things.

openEVSE would not respond to RAPI $FD disable.

I turned Demand Shaper from SMART to OFF – no change.

Then to ON – charging started but the Safety Warning remained.

Then to OFF but charging continued until the EV was fully charged. openEVSE then switched to WAITING but the Safety Warning remained.

At 6:30pm the Safety Warning disappeared of its own accord – no intervention by me.

The ev-state was 254 throughout except switching to 3 whilst charging then to 2 for approx 5 mins when charging finished.

Firmware is 3.3.1

Hi,

your screen shots are a bit confusing as you say your Firmware (wifi) is 3.3.1 but that is not indicated on the screenshot it shows 0.0.0 also the EVSE firmware shows as 0.0.0 this is what mine shows, it may be worth updating both to the latest versions.

John

@JJC Thx for yr response and screenshot – very welcome.

And sorry that my screenshots caused confusion – so to recap:

The unit is single phase and built from a kit a couple of years ago to which I recently added the latest WiFi card (v3.3.1). This configuration has run without problem for a few months. And the firmware has not been changed in this period of time.

This appears at the bottom of each openEVSE webpage: