On-going supplies for 868 MHz radio?

I have a set-up with 4 x emonTx and 1 x RFM12Pi and 1 x RFM69Pi - all 868MHz.

I now want to enlarge the system with one or two more emonTx boxes and one or two more receivers.

It will be easier if I can remain standardized on 868 MHz - (a) is that still available now for both transmitters and receivers and (b) is it going to be available for the “forseeable future”? If the answer to either question is “No”, I might bite the bullet now and order my new stuff in 433 MHz - but it’s a complication that I would like to avoid if possible.

The decision was made 3yrs ago to standardize on 433MHz (see Frequency Standardisation - 433Mhz on the old forum)

You could contact the shop to see what they can do, but I suspect they only have 433MHz stuff now (for a while they had some RFM’less RFM69Pi’s that you could put your own RFM module on).

Since you already have 4 emonTx’s (24 packets per minute synchronized) you might actually benifit from having a separate 433MHz network as with 6 or more unsynced 10sec devices, you might start seeing prolonged outages due to clashing.

Are you using emonSD/Pi’s ? Maybe there’s another way of sharing data accross the 2 networks?

1 Like

OK thanks for the answer, I see I’ll have to go for 433 MHz for the future.

2 Likes

No problem. There are other options, but it’s difficult to know what to recommend without understanding your particular setup and requirements.

For example, you can add a 433MHz JeeLink to your existing base stations, it’s a USB version of the RFM2Pi. emonhub can then manage multiple RFM networks on one device.

Likewise if you needed to receive the existing data on your new emonbases, you could add a 868MHz Jeelink along side the 433MHz RFM69Pi.

This is still the case - we try and make sure we have a small quantity of all our units available without the RF module to support existing users.

Please contact the shop directly for more information: [email protected]

1 Like

Thanks for that information about the shop.

That seems to give me quite a few options. Given what you say about being able to multiple RFM networks on one device, I think on balance I’ll go down the 433 MHz route for future expansion

I’ve got an RFM12Pi attached to an OrangePi Zero (GPIO pins are compatible but the other way round so it sticks out) which works flawlessly.

But TBH, the wireless is hopeless (I use it wired) and with a Pi Zero W at less than a tenner it’s hardly worth the hassle (of using the OrangePi) now.

Hi

I have my network based on 868Mhz. Therefore I’m considering purchase of emontx-smt shield without radio (emonTx Arduino Shield SMT - Shop | OpenEnergyMonitor).
I’m wondering what all I have to solder then.

a) radio (RFM69CW@868MHz) only
b) radio (RFM69CW@868MHz) + resistors and capacitor around radio

I hope that option a) is the right one.

Thx for help.
Vitek

As Gwil write above:

I think it’s only the radio module that you’ll need to hand solder, but Gwil will confirm that.

@vvvlcek

It is :slight_smile: You’ll only need to solder on the RF module.

1 Like

@vvvlcek
Be certain that you solder the connectors on the correct side of the board - look carefully at the photographs, the connectors go on the opposite side to the radio.

Thank you folks for quick clarification and great support.
Regards
Vitek