Non responsive emonPi2 board

Hi,
I got my emon pi 2 a couple of months ago with high hopes of it helping me monitor my solar production and energy use.

It has been a tail of frustration and disappointment.

To keep it short, many installs of emonsd (from the images and from scratch), on many different sd cards, in many different pi4s, pi3, and piw’s with no data coming from the emonpi2 board (the button and screen work but I assume that they are not connected to the chip on the emon board)

I have done a bit of debugging with an UNO to see the UART messages coming from the pi’s. Where all messages were expected and seen in the console. However, the emonPi2 never responded or sent an intelligible message.

There probably is some simple step that I have missed.

R

Hello @Robin_Mcandrew it sounds like you’ve tried everything, with a fresh emonsd you should see the inputs appear automatically in the emoncms inputs. It sounds like it must be a faulty board.

Could you email us at [email protected]
We will arrange a replacement

I assume your using the stock emonhub configuration etc? And that the emonpi2 has an emonVs voltage sensor attached?

It is a current only setup, if that makes a difference.

if the the voltage thing makes this much difference, I’ll buy that to save shipping from Aus to GB and GB back to Aus.

Are you using the “current only” sketch EmonPi2_CM_6CT_current_only? If you are, or you are using one of the other sketches that use emonLibCM, then it is possible for this to work without an a.c. voltage source as a reference.

But if you’re using a sketch that makes use of emonLibDB, then it’s highly likely the software isn’t running because it needs the voltage to correctly identify mains zero crossing points so that it can count complete mains cycles, and of course to be able to calculate power and energy. Without

it does indeed make a lot of difference: all you will know is a ‘best guess’ of power and energy based on current and many assumptions.

Unfortunately, I can see no indication of which sketch you might be using.

Hello @Robin_Mcandrew

You can update / change the firmware running on the emonPi2 from the Admin > Update page. Select the last option for the emonPi2 listed as ‘CURRENT ONLY’: