Nodes, Devices & Tags

Is there a definition somewhere of what nodes, devices and tags are? And is it possible to edit them?

I notice that some of my feeds are called, e.g. “Node emontx4 : import power” whilst others are “emonth5 : temperature”. Why does one have a ‘Node’ prefix while the other doesn’t?

Answering myself to some extent.

There’s no definition that I’ve been able to find.

Emoncms Core Concepts — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation mentions Nodes and Devices and sort of hints at what nodes are, but doesn’t really explain devices at all. Tags are not mentioned anywhere in the documentation that I can find. They are what appears in the interface though.

I don’t understand what the difference between a node and a tag is. I don’t understand what a device is, but I think I don’t need to care.

To change e.g. “Node emontx4” to plain “emontx4” you need to follow these steps AFAICT:

1. Go to the feeds view
  2. Click “Select all” and “Unselect all” (i.e. click the same button twice) to be sure no feeds are selected.
  3. Go to the node you want to rename
  4. Select all the feeds listed under that node
  5. Click the “Edit” button
  6. A pop up appears showing the node name and an arbitrary unit.
  7. Edit the name to be what you want and click “Save”
  8. The popup closes
  9. The name on the feed page changes after a slight delay
  10. Graphs don’t change the node/tag name. You have to go into every one and delete every item and re-add it to the graph. Annoying!