No Log being created by new installation

Hi

I have just created a duplicate emoncms on a new PI3 with a new sd card.

I am using @Paul 's dropbox script so I was able to import my existing set up.

Every thing looks OK but I am not receiving my test mqtt input on the new setup. I immediately went to look at the emoncms.log but nothing shows in admin and the file is zero length. I have done:-

sudo touch /var/log/emoncms.log followed by
sudo chmod 666 /var/log/emoncms.log

emoncms.log shows rw-rw-rw- owner root

What have I missed?

Regards

Ian

Try:

sudo service restart mqtt_input

Please post your ‘emonhub.log’

If you do want to see emoncms logging, you may want to check that logging is enabled & the log level is set correctly in settings.php

Paul

Hi

Logging is working. I think nothing had happened to get logged!

service restart mqtt_input does nothing:-

pi@piemoncmspi3:~ $ sudo service restart mqtt_input
restart: unrecognized service
pi@piemoncmspi3:~ $

However this is the same on the original running emoncms.

pi@emon2:~ $ sudo service restart mqtt_input
restart: unrecognized service
pi@emon2:~ $

Do you have to use emonhub now for mqtt? The running setup is using phpmqtt_input.php according to log file.

2016-08-03 18:59:27.511|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Subscribed to topic: emon/#

Ian

Apologies, my fault; the command should be:

$ sudo service mqtt_input restart

I got the name of the service and instruction mixed up! If your running emonSD-03May16 you will definitely have mqtt_service present.

Hi

My bad.

I had not followed the mqtt install instrucuions here:-

Progress being made. Log:-

2016-08-05 16:14:46.774|INFO|feed_model.php|EngineClass() Autoloaded new instance of ‘PHPFiwa’.
2016-08-05 16:14:46.822|INFO|feed_model.php|EngineClass() Autoloaded new instance of ‘PHPTimeSeries’.
2016-08-06 11:23:45.672|WARN|phpmqtt_input.php|Starting MQTT Input script

However I am not seeing any connecting info in log, investigating further.

I do not have the mqtt_input service running. Is this the latest way to use mqtt inputs and if so how do you upgrade from phpmqtt_input.php?

Ian

Instructions are here

Would recommend using latest emonSD-03may16 that has everything ready setup and configured. The pre installed emoncms backup module can be used to restore your data from older system;

Hi

OK I am trying the emonSD-03may16 image. I have got it configured and wifi setup. The new setup has the backup module. The original setup I want to copy is 9.7 | 2016.05.25 and has no admin, only administration. No provision such as Admin > emonPi update.

Can I add backup module manually?

My setup is emonbase only without radio receiving data over the internet. I use external node red and external mqtt on their own separate server as they are used for many other applications in addition to emoncms. Up to now I do not use emonhub. That was why initially I tried to setup from scratch as I have done in the past.

Ian

Yes backup module can be installed manually, see readme in the module repo

You might need to adjust the paths to work with your setup.