Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

MQTT WiFi Relay KRACK Fix

krack
esp8266
security
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f1fe1584208> #<Tag:0x00007f1fe1584050> #<Tag:0x00007f1fe1583d58>

(Felix) #1

I think the thermostat firmware must be updated in order to patch the WPA2 vulnerability recently discovered: http://espressif.com/en/media_overview/news/espressif-releases-patches-wifi-vulnerabilities-cert-vu228519#.WeVJZsHgtN0.twitter

(Glyn Hudson) #2

Thanks, we’re aware of this and working on an update for both WiFi relay, EmonESP, Heat Pump monitor and OpenEVSE ESP8266.

(Felix) #3

Glyn, do you happen to have instructions about how to build the esp8266 toolchain in order to have the latest fix?

Thanks!

(Glyn Hudson) #4

Sorry, we’re waiting on @Martin_Harizanov to build the code for us. We’re working on updates for our other ESP8266 hardware that use the ESP8266 Arduino framework. The fix has now been released for this:

(Martin Harizanov) #5

Hi,
It should be a fairly easy fix, just a re-compile under the latest NONOS SDK. There is a few things to consider while switching from 2.0 to 2.1 to make the code compile, but I expect no serious issues. I’ll post here update instructions and the compiled .bin
Cheers

(Martin Harizanov) #7

Hello,

attaching a recompiled binary with latest SDK, upgrade process takes 30 seconds, see below:

OEM_KRACK_FIX.bin (396.5 KB)

Cheers!

(Glyn Hudson) #8

Fantastic! Thanks @Martin_Harizanov :tada: :+1:

I’ve added the release to the github repo:

Note: current config will not be lost during the update :slight_smile:

It’s also possible to update via serial programmer:

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 --baud 460800 write_flash --flash_freq 80m --flash_mode qio --flash_size 16m-c1 0x1000 oem.v2088.bin

WiFi relay units sold via the shop will be updated to latest version:

Onwards and upwards! :tada:

(Paul Reed) #9

@Martin_Harizanov - What about the 3 channel relay which was stocked in the shop before the current version.
I assume that’s not so easy to patch, as there doesn’t appear to be a OTA update option.
Firmware version: 0.8.81 / Apr 22 2015 00:22:25.

Paul

(Martin Harizanov) #10

@Paul - That would take some fiddling, keep an eye here: https://github.com/mharizanov/ESP8266_Relay_Board/issues/15