Mqtt broker for emoncms

Excuse me for my basic question.
Is it possible to install mqtt broker for emoncms or is it any ready to use module for it?because I’m installed emoncms on a shared host and it’s not possible to install mosquitto or any other mqtt broker on a shared host so I need a module for that.
Any idea can be appreciated.
Thanks.

There are many users with more MQTT experience than me, so hopefully one of them will correct me if I’m wrong, but I guess in theory you could have emoncms connect to any remote MQTT broker, as long as you can install and run the mqtt_input service daemon and you alter the MQTT settings in settings.php so the broker can be located.

1 Like

Dear bro,stability is very important for me so I don’t want to connect to a remote broker.
I need a broker that i can install it on shared host or a emoncms module that has a integrated broker.
Unfortunately your presented link needs a bunch of bash for installation, that is impossible for a shared host! :cry:

Without access to the command line it is unlikely you will be able to install or run an MQTT broker, perhaps you need to look at changing your hosting service, perhaps a virtual server that you can install your own LAMP, emoncms and MQTT to is the answer?

Unless you live where your shared hosting is, the MQTT will always be remote to some part of the system, being remote shouldn’t effect the stability, where it is and what it is running on could. Have you considered cloudMQTT ?

But emoncms will still need that daemon to subscribe to MQTT no matter where it or the MQTT broker is hosted.

1 Like

Dear Paul,

In order to just publish a value to an external MQTT installation (in my case cloudmqtt) do you have to have that service daemon running? I thought the service daemon is only needed to receive values from a MQTT broker…

As far as I know the “publish to” process will work without the MQTT daemon running. Perhaps someone else can confirm that?

Hi fubax,
I had the same problem and I solved it! First of all I have to show my environment:

• Shared linux running ‘emoncms’. It’s visible from anyware

• House1 with raspberry running Mqtt broker, Openhab and Emonhub. In this house there are 3 esp8266 with EspEasy Sw and 2 EmonTH. The Emonhub collect EmonTh data and send them to ‘emoncms’ on shared linux. The Mqtt broker collects esp8266 data and Publish them; Openhab subscribe to Mqtt with 8266 topics and send them to ‘emoncms’ on shared linux

• House 2 with raspberry running only Emonhab that collect data fron 3 EmonTh and sends them to ‘emoncms’ on shared linux

• House 3 with raspberry running Mqtt broker and Openhab . In this house there are 5 esp8266 with EspEasy Sw and 2 EmonTH. The Mqtt broker collects esp8266 data and Publish them; Openhab subscribe to Mqtt with 8266 topics and send them to ‘emoncms’ on shared linux

With these configuration I’m able to see all my 3 houses’ s sensors looking at the emoncms application.
I hope that my poor English will help you to reach your goal.
Antonio

1 Like

Nice setup :thumbsup: