I’ve been using Open Energy Monitor for a good year and it has been great. I have one outstanding issue and with lockdown happening, I thought I might as well try and fix it.
I have an emonbase and a pair of emontx3. The emontx3 are AC-AC powered, each from their own power supply. They each have four CTs attached. No temperature probes.
The issue I’m having is I tend to lose a lot of data from the emontx3.
Things I have tried:
- If I power on only 1 emontx3 (doesn’t matter which one) it works perfectly.
- If I manually power on one and then the other, it works perfectly.
- If I power on both at the same time, the unit with the higher node number loses lots of data. The emonhub log shows bigs gaps in the data being received for that node.
- I have got an FTDI cable and updated both units to the latest continuous monitoring jeelib software from the emonbase.
I think they must be clobbering each other on the RF spectrum and the backoff is not working, or the back off is not sufficient.
I’ve had a look at the code, and trying to decide what the best way is to address this.
I saw another post talking about adding a delay in the setup() function based on the node number, something like:
But it also indicated some other issues. Also, this would only mask the issue - that the RF backoff is not working correctly.
I see there is a busyTimeout set to 15ms. I’m wondering if this is just too tight, and maybe it might be best to try adjusting this first. Perhaps double it to 30ms.