May I tie a micro inverter to grid via an UPS?

I have a WVC700 micro inverter with two 72-cell PV panels operating just fine after I managed to fix burnt power MOSFETs and added water cooling to it.
Like every inverter, it shuts down when grid goes off. If I place an automatic safety circuit breaker at main power input, would an UPS hold the power inside house?

many UPS are a modified sine (a blockly stepped sine wave ). and you will hear your inverter hammer and most likely die within a minute … even having a ups connected with in house can turn our bad for grid ties as the UPS a lot of them leak back into the grid when operating . but since they do not leak back into the grid at 2KW threshold of a transform start up and they are considered “safe”. but they can leak back enough to destroy a grid tie inverter especial say the UPS is on a same circuit as the GTI that has nothing on that circuit to draw down the leak voltage to zero – I had that happen to me my GTI melted and blow a huge hole in the circuit board–. what happens is the leaks enough voltage that the GTI tried to start but it can not sync it hammers and then blows as it melted away all the solder on the AC side of the circuit board

Even with a pure sine inverter, the main thing that’s likely be a show-stopper is the UPS frequency and output voltage stability. (or lack therof) As you mentioned, modified sine output is definitely a show stopper.

This is a concern to GTI owners. After installing it the only alternative is to use a pure sine wave UPS, usually much pricier. I intend to use something like this https://www.amazon.com/AIMS-Power-1500-watt-Inverter/dp/B004AAGP1O/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pure+sine+wave+1500w+ups&qid=1624728457&sr=8-6
What do you think?

Even so, unless the inverter is very forgiving of frequency and voltage drift, (especially frequency)
it’s not likely to work. This question has been asked many times on some of the larger solar and alt energy
forums. The answer I’ve seen is essentially it’s an excercise in futility. i.e. it doesn’t work.

Ok, nice to know before spending! Thanks for that. Since I have a two phase mains, maybe better to leave the GTI alone in its phase and to install a standard battery inverter to the other via a transfer switch. Then connect critical loads to that phase.

thumbsup

1 Like

if you still want to use UPS the easiest way
get a server one that allows DC input from secondary source. then just put a Y at your solar panel and couple couple isolation diodes another set of batteries and charge controller and plug the DC source into the UPS - one side of the Y goes to the batteries and the other side goes to GTI . place the isolation diodes on the battery side to prevent power from the battery going to the GTI… the inverter will pull down what ever not being used by the battery. what I actually find works the best is is using a large boost/buck converter ( bigger then the panel output) and set it at the float charge for the battery over using a charge controller as it does not interfere with MPPT of the GTI

I’m afraid to have not understand your scheme. Perhaps because I’ve read this one: DIY Grid Tied Inverter (using UPS) : 4 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

I’ll try to sketch your idea, thanks, @stephen

Y connector —

Blocking diode —

Panel -> Y -> blocking  diode -> charge controller ( or buck/boost) -> battery -> UPS
          \___ GTI

I think this way it will connect both GTI and UPS outputs together. Would this expose GTI to UPS frequency instability issues? Unless I connect each device to its proper separate phase it may not work as @Bill.Thomson said.

you do not have the GTI connect to the UPS, it is connected at the DC source of both big difference
as you asked Can a GTI be connected VIA a UPS which implies connected to the AC output of the UPS

panel -> GTI  -> UPS > wall outlet - will not work

but
can you have GTI and UPS connect to the same DC charge source is different question

panel  -> blocking diode -> charge controller -> battery -> UPS 
          \__ GTI

I read his question as asking if the UPS could substitute for the grid when the grid goes down.
IOW, make the GTI perform like a hybrid inverter.

Sure, that was my intended goal (I am not sure how a hybrid inverter works). @stephen 's unifilar scheme appears to have two AC outputs. Either we have them connected to same grid or not (different phases). Am I wrong (probably so)?

A hybrid inverter consists of a GTI and a battery charge controller all in one package.
It operates as a normal GTI when the grid is present. When the grid drops, it automatically switches to
battery operation. Usually, operating capacity when powered by the battery is significantly less than when