Landis+Gyr G470 672 gas meter reading

I have a Landis+Gyr G470 672 gas meter, located outside the house. This is a new UK SMETS2 smart meter, and uses a closed zigbee home network to send data to a communications hub that is inside the house attached to the electricity meter.

Ignoring the zigbee network and smart functionality, I am trying to establish whether there is any way to read this meter in an non-smart way. Any thoughts or ideas?

• This meter has a digital display, that is off by default and only comes on to show the reading by pressing a button on the meter itself. This means that I cannot use camera/OCR type reading. I also can’t use ‘reflective zero’ techniques, as there’s no spinning numbers.
  • There’s no impulse LED as far as I can see.
  • There’s no pulse output points as far as I can see.
  • There’s no obvious magnet. Before I try out a reed switch or hall effect sensor in different positions, does anyone know if there’s any magnet/electromagnet in this device? I doubt it, since the whole device seems to be fully digital.

Any other ideas welcome.

i think you’re probably right - it’s most unlikely to have any usable output, and good luck trying to get any information regarding the Zigbee protocol and decryption key.

I can think of only one solution - your own meter in series with it.