Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

Keeping an EmonSD installation up to date

(Craig Fryer) #1

What is the correct method to keep a RPi running emonSD-30Oct18 up to date?

In this sense I mean the current version of EMONCMS & Linux.

New emonSD release: emonSD-30Oct18 (Raspbian Stretch Pi3B+ compatible) :tada:
(Brian Orpin) #2

Hi @whatsupskip, If it is a pure SD image on an RPi (as opposed to the EmonPi) then there will be 2 parts.

The underlying system. The EmonSD is built off a Rasbian Stretch Lite base image. The recommended way from them to update is

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This was slightly surprising to me as I usually just use upgrade rather than dist-upgrade but it is the recommended method.

To update EmonCMS, there are 2 paths.

The simplest way is to use the update script when a new release is made. Current release is 9.9.5, but 9.9.6 is in the wings. There is a new update script coming with that, which will keep things simple (we hope). This deos not update the underlying system.

If you are a little more adventurous then there are 2 different branches of the software called master and stable. The master branch has the latest fixes etc that are rolled up into releases on stable branch. If you are interested, I can take you through that.

In all cases, it is a good idea to take a backup before doing any significant upgrades.

(Craig Fryer) #3

Yes, I had seen this mentioned else where and this is why I asked.
Thank you for clarifying this for me.

(ian) #4

Definitely a full image back up before you use dist-upgrade.
I seem to recall I tried it on emoncms and it really screwed things up. From that point on I never used dist-upgrade.

(Craig Fryer) #5

There could have been another cause, but my system wouldn’t work properly after using dist-upgrade.

(Sam) #6

@whatsupskip see my threads here and here. I had some issues on dist-upgrade due to some changes to service file.