iOS app thoughts

Right. Big update being pushed to Apple right now for beta testing. Please give it a go.

I’ve removed the saving of charts, and brought back the apps. Currently just the MyElectric app. However you can create multiple of them.

There’s still lots to be done. I’ve not given much attention to what happens in the app when things fail to load, etc. So if you’re having problems with not seeing data, then it could be just it hasn’t finished loading yet, or failed (check network connection).

Also, when you add a “MyElectric” app, and go into it, you need to tap “Configure” to set up the feeds. Otherwise you just end up with nothing shown. That will obviously change, but I didn’t want to put effort into that stuff yet.

I’d love some feedback on the direction the app is going in. Once I’m happy I’ll start to tidy up the loose ends like showing errors when things fail, etc.

[I’ve definitely fallen foul of trying to make things extensible before even the basics are there! That’s why it’s been a little slow going. Apologies!]

2 Likes

just received 1.0 (4). Wow! very nice. Now it is time to test!

Very clean and slick. included some screenshots of what I was able to do within a few minutes. Even pulled up my solar and energy usage as two my energy apps.

1 Like

Wow, this looks fantastic! Nice work @mattjgalloway :thumbsup:

Love the addition of a feed viewer. Very useful indeed. Wish this was in the Android app…

Thinking I should get an IOS device to joining in the testing fun. Will any ipod touch run the app ok? Anything I should be aware of? I’m a lifelong Linux / Android user and total Apple newbie.

Thanks @glyn.hudson!

Yeh pretty much any iDevice would work. I would suggest either an iPhone or an iPod touch as that’s what I’m developing it for mainly. iPad will work, but it’s not optimised for it, yet.

You’ll need to make sure it runs iOS 10, but a lot do. Just double check especially if you buy something old.

Other things to watch out for - once you have something Apple they’ll multiply ;-).

1 Like

Don’t do it Glyn! take no notice of Matt :imp:

Paul

2 Likes

It might be worth checking what happens to this in the fullness of time. It might prove entertaining if nothing else.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. The iPhone 5c runs ios 10. Will thus work ok as a reference test device for me?

1 Like

It should be fine, however it is the earliest device that supports iOS 10 (the iPhone 5C is essentially an iPhone 5 in a colourful case) and so it’ll likely be dropped next year. That’s not an issue, but could mean next year you want to buy something new.

However, it’s much cheaper, so I can see the draw of it!

TL;DR - yes it’ll be fine

2 Likes

Ether way good job, on the app, it will likely inspire great ideas for Android and even the desktop, which will likely continue to inspire your project. This is the not so secret sauce to open source development. Great job sir and keep up the good work everyone.

1 Like

sorry for my silence but had meetings every evening
Just tested the app, installs fine, I can scan via qr code
Feeds are visible and you can drill down to the graphs
But I can’t get the myelectric work. Or I miss something, I don’t understand or my setup is fishy serverside as the feeds are visible
Any idea ? Once again related to the fact cms is in a sub directory ?

some images (ringer free of charge :wink: )

Tap “Configure” and then set it up there with the power and kwh feeds.

I’m just working right now on some error handling and showing something better than that strange blank state! Sorry about that :-).

think I did no, second image top you see the feeds I linked ??
Litte add-on : iOS 10.1 ß3

1 Like

Oh sorry, so you did…

I need to add error reporting then I think! That was next on the list after making things a bit nicer when you haven’t configured yet. And I’ll make it spit errors to the log, which you can now send me from the settings tab.

1 Like

I also have the Testflight app on my phone. How do I join? Send my e-mail address to the dev?

Yep - just send me your apple ID and I will add you.

ok so far things looking great with the latest build :slight_smile:

• Feeds are now showing for me
  • self hosted emon is working

the apps configure well but don’t show any data at the moment for me. (just 0W an 0kWh)

1 Like

Hmm interesting. I need to get that error state showing up and logging errors to the log so I can easily take a look. My hunch is something is a bit too strict with the emoncms API and the version you’re running is sending something slightly different. Do the graphs work when you go into a feed on the feed list?

graphs in feeds are perfect.
just the my electric app that is being odd.
I can select the feeds and save fine but then nothing.
Will have a look to see if I can find anything in the logs

Interesting. If you update to master it’ll show network errors in logs now, so that would be useful.