Introducing HeatpumpMonitor.org - a public dashboard of heat pump performance

We’ll see if they reply to my reply to their tweet.

HeatpumpMonitor.org now shows 30 Day COP to make it easier to compare systems that might not have a full year of data yet, or have optimised their systems recently. It doesn’t make much of a difference, except to put mine a little higher up when sorted. :slight_smile:

Would love to see some ground source systems in this table…

6 Likes

Nice addition! bumps mine up a few places :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine is never gonna win the charts with my DHW regime. My heating COP is ace. But I drag the overall figure down by deciding to go with 250L of 55C water!! :rofl:

It might be something I look at in the future, but when using overnight off-peak electric, it makes sense to make the most of it.

Financial cost versus COP. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Good point! I was both wondering and impressed with how high those flow temperatures were going!

Id like to split out space heating, water heating and standby in the app and bring that through to the heat pump list as well. Then we can place higher/lower on different measures.

E.g In a passivhaus with very low heating requirements, a heat pump is much more likely to spend more time on standby which will drag down it’s apparent COP. Hot water heating will also be a more substantial share of heat demand. The COP while doing the space heating might actually be quite good but the overall average might not reflect that.

4 Likes

I’m still getting a COP of 3 heating to 55C.
If you look at the data you’ll see the heat pump is heating the water to 65C as the DT is 10 on my hot water. It’s something I need to have a proper play with.

Although some of this might be cos i’m ramping down the flow rate to stop the heat meter crapping out.
If I can speed the flow rate back up, it might squeeze the DT a little.

I don’t think having the heat plate exchange helps either as I have to manage the pump/DT on that side too into the cylinder. A coil would have been a much simpler affair.

In the first week with the Arotherm I even had the hot water running at target 65C and it did the job.
Although Adam Heat Geek wasn’t convinced that would be good for the long term health of the ASHP.

I’d love to see this. But don’t envy the logic how you’re gonna differentiate.
Would you do it by flow temp? Or by electric input?

On my system I can differentiate heating vs. hot water by monitoring the pumps. Power use can then be attributed accordingly either at input time logging to two feeds, or when processing the data in the app. This does need setting up for each system though; I don’t think the app could know otherwise.

That’s a good shout.

I have a separate CT clamp on my interface module, which in turn fires the hot water pump.
So that could be easily tracked to say “if > 10W” or whatever threshold relates to a hot water run?

2 Likes

Great to have some real life data to compare the different makes and models of heat pumps!

It would be good to have a designated space for commenting on each of the installs, so users can ask questions and make observations/ recommendations.

2 Likes

I would also like this.

Me too

I have a tangential discussion about using this data in other ways so I’ve taken that over to another thread to avoid it polluting this one.

1 Like

Or we can check the OperationMode value from melcloud. Lots of different cat skins.

1 Like

I suppose we’d be looking for the lowest common denominator approach that folk with any make/model of heat pump could use?

If people are invested in emonpi hardware, then a CT clamp on the pump watts could be useful?

@Zarch I’m intrigued how you are controlling flow rates on the Arotherm+ as this seems to be firmware control only on the 3.5kW monobloc. My installer added a Grundfos UPS3 in series on the monobloc flow and Live monitor is now recording rates that are way higher than the specified working range of the unit.

Might be a better question for the Arotherm thread.

Controlling flow rate (using pump speed) is just a setting on the VWZ AI controller.

• Conf. heat. build. pump
  • Conf. cool. build. pump
  • Conf. DHW. build. pump

The pump speed when heating, cooling or doing DHW can be independently set between 50% and 100% as well as ‘auto’.

Many thanks to all who have (and will) contribute to the Dashboard creation and content. This will be a really important public domain resource of real data which can help inform progress towards net zero.
I’ll contribute my PassiveHaus 3.5kW Arotherm+ as soon as I can monitor it without using multiple button presses on the Vaillant controller. Driving me mad, so I’m looking forward to TX4 arriving from shop!

It would be really useful to have some sort of diagramatic system schematic for each instance as well as the details accessible via the + expander. Would it be appropriate to make provision for a system schematic to be uploaded on a voluntary basis and to link it via the + expander?

2 Likes

I’d be happy to add my system into the public dashboard: an 8kW NIBE F1145 Ground Source Heat Pump (looks like all the others are ASHPs?) that’s about 5 years old.
It’s got a dedicated electrical sub-meter on the input and separate Kamstrup Multical 302 heat meters on the CH and DHW outputs; all three meters are read automatically via MeterBus.
The system is registered with NIBE Uplink and I download temperature and other readings via the Uplink API every 2 minutes, logging everything in a local InfluxDB database for graphing with Grafana.

However, I don’t have an emonpi or local emoncms instance in the mix. Is that a problem - could I just send readings via the API, after grabbing them from NIBE Uplink and reading my meters?

Hello @dMb it would be great to get your system on there. I assume you dont have an emoncms.org account either? Im happy to create an account for you so that you can share your data free of charge. I will PM you the details. Would you be able to setup some kind of upload to the emoncms.org server from your existing setup?