How often do you run sudo apt-get upgrade?

Just wondering how often others run apt-get upgrade on their production RPi based EmonCMS machines.

Not often enough!

I did do it the other day and it was a large update which took a while.

If you do, check all the services have come back properly.

A dist-upgrade is more dangerous as it pulls in more changes and that has upset things in the past.

Hello @borpin, Is an apt-get upgrade performed automatically when the EmonPi software is updated? or would I have to do that separately?

Hope all is well,

Neil

The apt-get update is done but not the upgrade.

Yes, I made the mistake of doing the dist-upgrade once before, so I was concerned about doing just the upgrade. I did make a ā€œdiskā€ image before running just the upgrade.

If itā€™s running fine and not internet exposed. Not.
When there are improvements, specific updates and ā€˜timeā€™ available. I run some updates/upgrades/ā€¦
Donā€™t think an update is just click and goā€¦ There will be a time it goes wrong en then it startsā€¦ (timeā€¦)

Exactly. Imagine the upkeep involved if apt upgrade was done everytime the update buttonā€™s pressed in emoncms.
I wonder if thereā€™s a subscription or news service for vulnerabilities worthy of upgrading for.
Or else weā€™re relying on posts to the forum about userā€™s Pis getting hacked :grimacing:

and

e.g.

yields

1 Like