How do I determine which WiFi firmware I can flash on OpenEVSE?

This might be a stupid question, but I haven’t been able to find the answer yet.

I’ve found that the ESP32 board uses the V4.x, and the ESP8266 version uses the V2.x. So far, so good. How do I determine which version I have? Is it possible from the UI?

The only thing I see about the “Hardware” is:

Also, I saw that for some WiFi firmware versions, there was a recommended minimum openEVSE firmware version required (e.g. for the V4 you should have openEVSE v. 7.1.3 or higher). How do I see that firmware version? Wouldn’t that be where there’s just a dash (-) in the image above?

I’ve seen that happen every now and then on my units. Takes a power cycle of the whole unit to fix it. That said, you could try clicking restart on both the OpenEVSE and the WIFI unit. Then reload the page. It should show then.

Indeed, pressing restart under “OpenEVSE WiFi” and reloading worked (I had tried the restart button under “OpenEVSE”, and that did not. Maybe, as you say, both were needed). Thanks!

Firmware: 	5.0.1
Protocol: 	4.0.1

Is there then a way to see which board version (ESP8266 or ESP32) I have from the UI?

1 Like

I’ll take a stab at this.

Because the older ESP8266 WiFi module will only accept firmware up to 2.9.1, and since your WiFi module is currently running 3.3.1, you must have the later ESP32. HTH.

I’ll take that solution :slight_smile:

Thanks!

When you update both firmwares (the EVSE Controller’s, and the ESP32 WiFi’s), the UI will provide better/more information.

On one of my three OpenEVSEs, I just replaced the 2017-era ESP8266 with a Adafruit-sourced Huzzah unit, flashed with OpenEVSE 4.1.2, and updated the Controller’s firmware from 5.0.1 (like yours) to 8.2.0, and this is what is now reported:

The later WiFi firmware releases (for ESP32) explicitly display the module type.

If running an older FW version which does not show the hardware type in the UI the only way to check for sure is to visually check inside the unit:

If my unit is running 4.01 currently, does that at least exclude the esp8266 as mentioned above?

If it helps I purchased my EVSE from the store end of June 2021.

Yes it does, V4.x can only run on the ESP32 which means either the Huzzah or the OpenEVSE WiFi V1. Can you check to see if this info is shown on the UI?

This is what I have:

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 15.21.20

Ah, you’re running an older FW revision before this info about the WiFi module was added. I’m afraid the only way to tell for sure will be to isolate the power and have a peak inside.

Most units shipped in 2021 onwards use the OpenEVSE WiFi V1, but judging from the FW version it looks like yours was shipped around the date that we transitioned, best take a look inside to be certain. The Huzzah 32 and the OpenEVSE WiFi V1 are functionally identical. They both use the ES32 and run almost identical FW, the only differences are mostly just pin mappings.

Thanks, ok, I will probably order the dongle thingy for updating the main firmware too as I think that has to be done with a cable connection right? I need to find the documentation for that so that I can do both things with a single cover removal.

Correct, updating the controller requires an ISP to USB programmer. However, there’s been no significant updates, so I wouldn’t recommend updating.

Ahh ok, is there a change release note somewhere? Im happy to not upgrade if there isn’t anything significant. I thought I saw mention of firmware 8.x but the repo here seems to be 7.1.3 latest anyway? Or is there another repo?

The main reason for wanting upgrades is to try and remove the stalling of the MQTT feed of solar power as even though I have a wired ethernet connection, I still experience this loss of connection and have to disable and re-enable MQTT. Am I right in thinking this only requires the Wifi module to be upgraded?

Here’s the changelog:

Correct, MQTT is handed by the WiFi module rather than the controller. Updating the WiFi module should fix this. It’s also worth making the sure unit has a strong WiFi connection to your network, this is often the cause of dropoffs.

Thanks again.

So I optioned the Ethernet Gateway on my EVSE when I ordered it as I prefer not to use Wifi wherever possible.

Only reason for thinking of doing the main firmware at the same time was because I have to take the cover off to confirm the Wifi board. The change log doesn’t really contain anything that means much (read anything) to me, so I will likely leave alone!

Thanks for the guidance.

Ah right, so in that case you will need to use openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin. However, the older FW versions of the Ethernet gateway don’t support OTA updating over WiFi so you will need to connect a micro USB and update manually using avrdude:

esptool.py --baud 921600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -z --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x1000 0x10000 openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin

see: openevse_esp32_firmware/docs/wired-ethernet.md at master · OpenEVSE/openevse_esp32_firmware · GitHub

This only needs to be done once since the current ESP gateway FW support OTA updating.

Hi @glyn.hudson, picking up on this old thread again… I still haven’t flashed my ethernet gateway, but looking back into it now!

I see since v4.2.2 openevse_esp32-gateway-e.bin is no longer listed as an asset, only revision f. Can I use revision f, or does it need a different board and therefore v4.2.2 is as high as I can go?

Thanks

What hardware rev have you got? You will need to check on the Ethernet module on the PCB inside.