Hello World - Discourse forum testing sandbox

Hello world!

This is my first post on the Discourse forum 14 day trial. A forum for the future?

Please go ahead and login (either create account or use your Google, GitHub or Twitter account) and create a post.

Posts can be written in markdown: testing bold italic

Please feedback your experience to the thread on our current forums discussing the forum platform options.

The forum is currently in a barebones state see openHAB for an example of an active Discourse forum: https://community.openhab.org

Hope it is server load causing this very slow opening of the topic … also the yellow post it comes up again, hopefully also a thing you can set show once only :upside_down:

drag and drop image upload, really nice

Also I’d like the recent posts link to be at the top not at the bottom of the page when I’m replying. Hope this makes sense cos I still can’t see what I’m typing…

@Bramco you can scroll up and down the page as you are typing a reply. You can even minimise your reply and even move to view a different topic and your reply will not be lost. It will also not be lost even if you close the tab, which is very useful :grinning:

Glyn, I still can’t see what I’m typing when I use my tablet running Chrome. The title bar covers the first line of my reply. So I have to hope I was typing accurately!

Simon

PS just realised the preview pane on the right is even more obscured. This is due to the extra line of icons at the top of the left hand pane.

I can see things though if I switch to mobile view… Although then there’s no preview. So not so good.

@Glyn - weird issue that I cannot repeat. The first time I clicked on the link in this sentence: “Please feedback your experience to the thread on our current forums discussing the forum platform options” I got this error:

But the 2nd time it all worked as expected. I am guessing the tracking caused the hiccup.

That’s strange, let me know if it happens again. I will contact @discourse support

Site works great for me on mobile. Even better if you are using Chrome on Android you can Setting > Add to Home Screen to add a shortcut to the forums to your homescreen. When launched the shortcut will load Chrome webview like a native app

Discourse did do a really nice job on the mobile side! I like it!

I’m not much of a mobile device user when it comes to this sort of thing. But yes, it does indeed appear Discourse “got it right” with respect to mobile devices. I had no problems making this post with a Motorola RAZR.

One thing I noticed was that logging out on the mobile device logged me out on my desktop machine. Minor detail since most users aren’t going to be logged in on both at the same time.

Once we get Discourse set up on our own server I also hope to enable replying to topics via email. Just reply to the notifications email, just like github.