External ADC (MCP3208): why voltage increases when CT is loaded?

You’re sampling the current and the voltage at best effort time, the time it takes for the cpu to do calculations after each analogRead is dependent on the values of that calculations.
So it could be happening that when a value increases (I) it takes more cpu time to do another while loop and you get slightly different results due to sampling at another position of the sine wave.
Check if the number of crosscount changes with different currents after the same amount of timeout.

Be advised that a number posted by Mr Lemaire might be in error by up to 30%, so you should not rely on that when calibrating your device.

That’s not very helpful Robert. The guy is trying to figure out what’s wrong with his experiment and is reaching out to the community. I looked at it and my reaction, somewhat cued by your post that seems to have vanished, was that the numbers were inconsistent and that since it’s in the voltage circuit where he has his problem, maybe he should try to check the voltage with a meter to see if its what it should be.

I referenced your post to credit you with first pointing out the issue.

I’'m not going to get into another hissing contest with you. This is exactly what set me off the last time. Instead of helping us out and pointing out where you think the numbers are wrong, you make demeaning comments. You’re a smart guy and usually get it right, so what did I actually do wrong?

I’m human, I make a lot of mistakes. I learn. This guy is trying to do the same and I’m going to try to help him out.

For the benefit of accuracy, and to be of more help to @dumbassprog (sorry) I’ll be more specific. The cal of 900 on the voltage channel means that 1V at the ADC (everything here is AC RMS unless I say otherwise) indicates 900V at the wall. So when the kettle is on and the sketch indicates 244.01 volts, the voltage at the ADC must be 244.01/900 = 271mv. If it’s not close to that, and closer to 800+, then it’s likely a programming bug that we all missed.

The other calculations were nominal. I didn’t see where the voltage output of the VT was stated, so I assumed it is a 9VAC nominal VT. The actual voltage can and typically does vary, and in all cases I’ve seen, it’s more. Typically several volts more. But the resultant voltage at the ADC will be 1/11th of that.

Current = voltage / resistance.
Current = 9 / 110,000 = 81.8ua
Voltage = current * resistance
voltage across the 10K resistor = .0000818 * 10000 = 818mv

You can measure the actual voltage of your VT and plug it in where the 9 is.

Now, if (when) you have 818mv at the ADC (and you may have more as explained above), and that’s when the wall is at nominal 240, the cal should be

240 / .818 = 293

That’s if the VT is putting out exactly 9v AC RMS when the wall is 240v AC RMS. Your mileage may vary.

That’s a far cry from 900. So I encourage you to figure out why your cal is 3x the expected nominal value.

Here is my full schematic:

Just figured out: if I disconnect the CT2 the voltage readings become perfect!

Is that with the 900 Vcal? Looking at your circuit I think the input impedance on the ADCs is way too high, especially the 470k on the VT circuit. 12K on the CT circuits is in the ballpark (and so is the ICAL) It doesn’t give the sample and hold capacitors enough current to charge. There are a few things that I do differently with MCP3208s to make them work.

When I was using voltage dividers successfully (I use op amps now), I was using 4.7K resistors, with a 10uf capacitor where you have the .1uf cap. I know that works pretty well, but at anything above about 500Khz on the SPI clock, you need to increase the sample and hold time. I developed a technique to do that and I’ll post a link to that later.

I used that circuit on both the VT and CT inputs with success.

The tell tale that the ADCs are not charging to full voltage is that the offset values sag. If you print the offsets out after the thing settles down, they should be around 2048. A much lower value would be consistent with insufficient charging and your need to multiply the result with that large Vcal.

The Arduino ADCs are not as demanding as the MCP3208, but they are also slower. That explains why it works with them.

You should be able to run the ADCs at 1Mhz if you use the S&H lengthening technique. I run them at 2Mhz with the op-amps (very low impedance).

Here’s the link to the old post on increasing the ADC S&H time:
https://community.openenergymonitor.org/t/esp8266-wifi-power-monitor/1692/19?u=overeasy

Somehow I missed that at the time, and I’m struggling to get my head around it. If it’s not too much to ask, could you draw a timing diagram of /CS, CLK and DI to indicate your technique please?

The datasheet says:

a sample is acquired on an internal sample/hold
capacitor for 1.5 clock cycles starting on the first rising
edge of the serial clock once CS has been pulled low.

That strikes me as being independent of what’s happening on DI, i.e. where you’ve managed to position your start bit. But you say:

You can shift the whole transaction left 4 bits so that the S&H period is defined by two cycles that straddle the first and second bytes.

Would that require you to assert /CS right near the end of the transmission of the first byte? A timing diagram sketch of what you’re doing might help me understand, thanks.

[EDIT] - never mind… I read on and saw where it really samples. I assume that datasheet sentence I quoted above is incorrect?

So does your SPI controller let you transfer an arbitrary number of bits? I don’t think the AVR one can. From memory I think it always transfers 8 bits. So unless dumbassprog bit-bangs it all with GPIO pins he may not be able to take advantage of your optimisation.

The short answer is that you can do this with byte oriented SPI. The ESP8266 will do any bitlength, but you can do it using byte boundaries and extracting your result from the result bytes with masks and shifts.

On the leading side of the transaction, there can be any number of zeroes, as the transaction is defined by the start one bit. So three leading zeroes, the start, the diff, then the three bit channel address. That’s the first byte.

Now wait awhile (a really long while with 470K voltage dividers - couple of us with the 4.7K and 10uf cap). CS remains low.

Now read two bytes. The first two bits will be arbitrary bits, followed by the 12 result bits msb first. If you leave CS low and the clock running after that, it will continue with the result in little endian format, beginning with the second bit (lsb is not duplicated). Even after the 11 additional little endian bits are transferred, the data sheet says you can leave CS low and the SPI clock running, and it will continue to pump out zeroes.)

Since publishing that technique, I’ve started using LM358 op-amps for the bias and no longer need to extend the s&h time, but this technique worked great with the 4.7K bias supply and a couple of microseconds extra s&h time. Whenever I would try to reduce it, the sample average (offset) would start to sag from ~2048.

EDIT: I hadn’t looked at that stuff in months and wrote the above from memory. The basic principle is correct but in looking at my code and datasheet, I dropped a bit in the explanation. I’ve corrected that. An entire transaction is 19 bits. When you add the three leading zero bits to byte align the S&H period and transfer 3 bytes, the result is in the low order 6 bits of the first output byte (of the second two byte spi transfer) followed by the high order six bits of the next.

uint16_t result = word((*spiout & 0x3f), *(spiout+1) ) >> 2;

It looks like it’s time to answer the question: «Why voltage increases when CT is loaded?»

The answer is:
— Maybe because of your corrupted MCP chip, you stupid … !??

Just re-soldered my CT1, CT2 and VT1 terminals to other three MCP3208 analog ports (CH3, CH4 & CH5) and everything works perfect now:

There is only one thing remains that I asked last year: in the idle state CTs give me minimum 0.1A current (last year I had the same with Talema AC1025/1020 CTs that are 2,5 times cheaper but I have doubts about it’s non-linearity…).

What you’re seeing is most likely noise from the ESP module and/or your power supply.

So there is no way to eliminate it unless I put CTs into a metal box far away from other (not useable) AC cables and systems?

Essentially, no. (at least not easily) But the levels you are seeing are typical, and can be ignored

Ok. So it looks like I can measure everything above ~23 Watts (for my 230V standard AC lines) of power and not below this threshold?

Even at 100 Watts, your resolution and accuracy will not be good.

There are two entries in the FAQ section that explain why.

Just had one (potentially very stupid) thought that I can apply some kind of corection table to my CT readings. I.e. for currents below 1A decrease the value by 2%, for currents above 3A increase by 1,5% etc. (Just an example to illustrate the idea). According to this:

the non-linearity is present in SCT transformers.

The non-linearity is at its worst at low power levels, and especially so with reactive loads.

You’re good to go with what you’ve got now. No real need to do anything else except make sure your calibration is good.

When you calibrate, use a large, resistive load, i.e one that’s in the middle or upper half of the CT max rating.

If you don’t have a resistive load that large, you can wrap more than one turn through the CT.
e.g. if you have a 1500 Watt heater, you can wrap 3 turns through the CT to get an effective load of 4500 Watts.

As I mentioned above, the FAQ has the answers to your questions.

I did. When I say that I use a water boiler I mean something like this: :grinning:

Absolutelly resistive, just a nichrome wire inside.

True, but if memory serves, not a large load. i.e. the one’s I’ve seen range from 100 to 300 Watts.

You really need to be calibrating at the middle of the CT rating, or as close to it as you can get.

You can wrap as many turns as necessary (provided they fit, of course!) around the CT to get a larger equivalent load.

Say for example your immersion heater uses 125 Watts. At that power level, the wire diameter can be failry small. That means you should be able to wrap quite a few turns on the CT.

e.g. I use a 100 Watt incandescent lamp with a CT that has 60 turns of wire wound around it to give me an equivalent load of 6000 Watts.

I know my questions are far away off-topic now but let me ask: if I wrap the phase-carrying wire 5 times (for example) around the CT clip core and then divide the numbers I get by the actual power value that I read on my bypassed SDM630 meter should I get a correct number of turns if everything is callibrated as it has to be?

With five turns, (which really isn’t emnough) emonCMS or whatever you’e using to display the measured data, should read five times the value of the immersion heater rating.

Yes, or a number very close to five. (taking the various component tolerances into account)