EVSE Load Balancing for multi-units housing

I am researching charging stations for a multi-unit housing project. The load balancing comes up during the discussion. But I am quite hesitate to implement it as it affect the user-experience for residencies. Let’s say I am plug my EV and expect it to top up 80% for x hours for a long trip next. Suddenly, someone plug another EV. It dropped the current by half and it literally throw me under the bus as I need to double the hours for that 80%. Situation like this causes unpleasant experience. Not to mention if it might be some fee associated even though a tiny cost.
Has anyone had such project experience? Appreciating if you can share some thoughts/experience.

Welcome, Tim, to the OEM forum.

I have no experience, however I was reading about this only yesterday. The impression I got was that the scenario you envisage would only apply if the available capacity for vehicle charging was only sufficient for one vehicle at a time. If that were to be the case, I would suggest that the public electricity supply should have been reinforced before the installation was allowed.

Yes. It is a retrofit project. Need to install 3 wall mount stations and very likely use one break of 60A. It is quite limited. There is also a cost constrain as the fund will come from the building annual maintenance budget. To have a consistence charging experience I think will be important.

I guess this is a little too late, as you posted in May.

Were you going to use the OpenEVSE? Could you just set the Amps for each station and just have each station only use one 3rd of 60A, so 20Amps max?

If you are looking at an Open EVSE, you can set the AMPS on them.

Anyway, what did you end up doing?

Sorry for the late reply, I’m afraid the OpenEVSE / EmonEVSE does not currently support load balancing. However, you can adjust the current via the web interface.