ESP8266 OpenEVSE WiFi V2.9.0 beta: Significant update Solar PV Divert 🎉

No, I asked @glyn.hudson.

so emonpi should be correct for host.

No I asked.

Ok looks good.

As I don’t know what the right entry for ‘node’ is, you will have to wait for Glyn.

1 Like

The NodeName can be whatever you want, it’s just the name that will be assigned to the Emoncms Input. If you have previously been posting to your emoncms server you should use the same nodename as before. The usual default is openevse

I’m not sure what’s going on there. The WiFi firmware should have no effect on the OpenEVSE controller.

Ah, it looks like hostname looks is not working on your network. You can post directly to the IP address instead use 192.168.1.14/emoncms as the hostname. If using the IP address you should try to assign the IP address as ‘reserved’ on your router to avoid a new IP address being reassigned in the future.

Same error if I use IP address:
test_04

Note the emoncms on the end.

Correct. I just edited my post above to remove the http at the beginning of the hostname

1 Like

Hooray!
Now all we need to do is get MQTT working?

1 Like

Change the host to the IP address and just the ip address

set it like this and it should be OK

I tried John’s suggestion but with my IP address 192.168.1.14. Still not connected.
I am using the password I use to access the pi in headless mode. Is this correct?

Hi,

this is the password you need unless you changed it emonpimqtt2016

John

1 Like

Thanks John :slightly_smiling_face:
OK now

Glad we got there in the end :slight_smile:
when you do a charge could you see if you get the increased figures I am seeing, suspect the multiplier may need changing

John

My remaining problem is that if I switch from Normal mode to Eco the charge rate drops to zero even though I have 4kW of surplus PV.
The grid Import/Export says 4500W waiting for solar

I had that earlier today, did a restart on the EV side (not the wifi) and it was OK. Think there may be some little gremlins hiding around still :frowning:

John

Just had a thought have you set up an MQTT topic to give you a feed for the system to know the spare solar power?

John

Do you mean the srvices page I posted above? Under solar PV divert

If I monitor the Grid Import/Export on the OpenEVSE app it is showing a figure somewhere between 2000W and 4500W with a time in seconds that mostly does not rise above 5 although sometimes it gets as far as 60.
I suspect that ECO charging will not start until n seconds have passed with the export above a certain level but in my case the counter is reseting early.

This is just a guess.

Maybe bench testing was done with a less dynamic PV simulation?

your solar PV divert topic looks wrong as you have power2 in there which is the total solar output, this needs to be a new MQTT topic that is the solar power - what the house needs to give you the available solar for charging and will be a - number when there is spare power.

John

OK, I clearly need to go and do a lot more reading. But while you are there, can you set your OpenEVSE Max charge level below 10A? Mine no longer goes down to 6A

I am following the instructions here: Solar PV - Guide | OpenEnergyMonitor

But have fallen at the first hurdle. When trying to configure inputs I get this:

Today is very sunny so will be ideal for testing if I can get it working: