ESP V4.x wifi firmware

@glyn.hudson

Thanks for the info, was operator error I used firmware.bin when I should have used openevse_huzzah32.bin. just assumed that as on previous updates firmware.bin was the one I had used :frowning: It did work OK for everything apart from the charge volume as far as I could tell. Used the correct one and it all looks OK now. As an aside what bonus features would I get if I purchased the new WiFi module?

John

Nothing significant, only some NeoPixel RGB LEDs and a temperature sensor on the board. The main reason for developing it is lower cost and better control over the supply chain since weā€™re not depending on Adafruit. It also lets us, standardise on easier to use connectors which canā€™t be inserted the wrong way round.

@glyn.hudson any chance of external antenna support on OpenEVSE WiFi?

Sorry, there arenā€™t any certified ESP32 modules with external antennas (e.g FCC/CE RED) so we canā€™t officially ship it with a module with external antenna. We do offer an Ethernet option:

It would be possible for you to change the ESP32 module yourself to one with an external antenna. The OpenEVSE controller just requires a serial connection to the ESP32, so it should be possible to use any ESP32 module.

Iā€™m in the USA, and recently updated the firmware on my OpenEVSE v5 to 7.1.3 and my wifi to version 4.0.1. My total energy is no longer updating on the UI once I unplug the car as displayed on the screen and in the json status data, but if I run the RAPI command $GU, I see the increase. For instance, I charged yesterday, my wife is out with the car right now, on the local webpage, my session energy is shown as 13.95 and my total energy as 991.68 (which hasnā€™t updated from the charge session). If I run the RAPI $GU cmd, I get >$OK 50237172 1005630^16. Is there anything that you can suggest for me to either provide more information or troubleshoot? Thanks!

That sounds like it is probably just a bug. The v4 firmware only updates the charge stats when the device is charging, probability just not updating the total after the charge has completed. Just submitted an issue on the GitHub repo.

Thanks - let me know if thereā€™s any info I can provide to things to test to help narrow in.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Works OK on 3.3.2 and 7.1.3 So running back on 3.3.2 for the moment :slight_smile:

John

Hi all,

went back to V4 to do some more testing and this is what I have found

Charge the car V3 or V4 all OK
Remove the charge lead V3 amount of charge reported straight away V4 no report till next charge cycle

Any clues, or is this normal for V4?

John