EmonTx4 WiFi - Anything else needed?

Hi,
If logging to emoncms.org cloud service, is the emonTx V4 with Onboard WiFi and a bunch of current clamps all that is needed?
No need for the emonBase 433Mhz etc?
Thanks.

Welcome,

Yes I think so - @Gwil might be able to confirm.

Hi Edward,

Yes, that is correct: if you choose the WiFi option there is no need for an emonBase in order to send data to Emoncms.org (or your own server). You just need reliable WiFi at the Tx’s location.

An emonVs is more than just a power supply for the Tx, it provides a voltage reference which is important for accurate power readings.

Hi, I have purchased the EmonTx4 WiFi as well but I cannot find the setup instructions to connect it to my wifi network. I checked https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/ but only saw the instructions for connecting to the emonBase at 433 MHz.
Can someone point me to the link with the wifi setup instructions?

Thank you,
Gordon

Hello @grod55

Here’s the page on the WiFi expander: Expansion boards — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation

The EmonESP documentation page given a generic overview of how to setup the WiFi unit which is running EmonESP here: GitHub - openenergymonitor/EmonESP: ESP8266 WIFI serial to emoncms link

Trystan, thank you for the links.

According to the instructions (below), I should be seeing a WiFi AP such as emonESP_XXX. I could not see this on my phone but did finally see espwifiXXXX on my laptop. Was able to connect to the first TX4 and set it up to connect to my local wifi but I lost the connection part way through. Upon further inspection, both wifi radios were not seated very well on the board (probably came loose in transit). Once properly seated, both were visible, and I was able to setup the connections to my wifi, and then connect via the IP addresses assigned by my router.

Next step is get connected to emonCMS.

Best regards,

Gordon

2 Likes