emonTX & OPNSense

Hello,

I ordered my emonTX v4 last weekend. Just awaiting the Royal Mail…

Does anyone have any experience of connecting an emonTX to an OPNSense computer? I have an old Raspberry PI /somewhere/ (2 or 3, can’t remember) but as I already have a computer next to the consumer unit, I was wondering if I could get this working in a FreeBSD jail?

Here’s a link to a thread that may help get you going in the right direction:

https://openenergymonitor.github.io/forum-archive/node/10870.html

1 Like

To add to Bills reply, we have an install script for Emoncms and it’s dependencies here GitHub - openenergymonitor/EmonScripts: Emoncms Stack Installation and Update scripts This has replaced all the older emoncms install guides as there were so many steps. If you need to install step by step, reviewing the content in the scripts is probably your best bet.

1 Like

No :frowning:

Just the TX4? No base station or RFM card?

It depends if you are intending to run the monitoring SW (EmonCMS) on it or just extract the data and send that on to a different machine running EmonCMS or another monitoring SW solution.

For now, I’ve not ordered anything else. I had understood I could hook it up via USB tty to something I already had and use that to fire at CMS. I ideally want to avoid another piece of kit since I have a fully functioning PC right next to where the consumer unit is.

I’ll probably stick EmonCMS in AWS or on a VM somewhere so I think I just need to get the USB piped into a jail running the script (name escapes me) that takes the USB data and throws it at EmonCMS.

If you can connect the EmonTX4 directly to the PC (just a USB cable - no TTL converter required now), you should be able to run emonhub (a python script/service) on the PC to collect the data and pass it on. GitHub - openenergymonitor/emonhub: Python service linking and decoding input to MQTT & Emoncms

If you already have Node-RED on that PC, you could just use that.

Cloud self hosted installs can be challenging.