emonSD-03May16 Release

Upgraded emonpi to Pi3 and did a complete fresh install of the emonSD-03May16 release. Did a backup (before the upgrade), did the install, ran the update per the instructions, made sure everything seemed to be running (which it did), then ran the import from my backup.

That went well so I copied the relevant parts of my emonhub.conf (attached)emonhub.conf.txt (5.0 KB)

Rebooted, everything seemed to come online just fine except only two of my nodes showed up. The first node (5) is the local emonpi and another node that reads my garage temps showed up. All the rest of my nodes did not show up for some reason. I have looked at all the log files (syslog, emoncms.log, messages & emonhub.log), but I can see no errors at all that would point me in the direction as to why the rest of my nodes are not showing up.

All nodes were working fine prior to the upgrade.

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

----UPDATE----

Looks like I just needed to restart all of my nodes physically (which is weird). Once I did that, all of them are showing up now.

Hi I also upgraded my emonpi from RPi2 to RPi3 and switched to the emonSD-03May16 release. Restored my emonhub from the backup and my openhab configuration files from a backup copy and everything is working fine.

Great Job.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks, good to hear :blush:

Good work setting everything up. :+1:

3 posts were split to a new topic: Install OpenHAB2 on emonSD / emonPi

Hy Everybody!

I’m new in the Openenergy forum, this is my first post.

I need your help, and I’mnot sure that this isthe right topic to ask, so sorry in advance if I ask on a wrong topic.
I bought Emon TXV2.2 board I build succesfully, & RFM69Pi 433Mhz Raspberry Pi Base Station Receiver Board. Now it measure Current and Voltage on CT1 . Now before I change firmware to send the data via RF I wan’t to prepare my Raspberry to receive and store the datas from the Emon tx.
I try to build the emonSd card by myself.
I have few question abouth that.
I use old Emon Pi B version, I prepared (8Gb) SD card I mounted the latest :emonSD-03May16- RELEASE to the card.
It looks that it’s installed automatically after I power up my PI.
After I try to follow the Installation guide strickly step by step: emonpi/SD-card-build.md at master · openenergymonitor/emonpi · GitHub

,but I’m lost.
The first thing what I did sucesfully to make the step 1. the update.
After I wan’t to continue step 2. (Enable root filesystem read-only mode) ,
but it seems to me that after the update (1. step) the 3.rd data partition already created, and severall step was done during the update (step1).
My first question, is it true that not all the step have to be done after the step 1. (upgrade) ?
If yes, where can I found step by step actual Installation guide?
What are the following steps,please help me.

Thanks for your support in advance.
byHunber…

A pre-built version of the SD card can be downloaded:

It will work fine with the Model B Pi.

Dear Glyn,

What further steps need to make after the Sd card build, and updated as a Step 1.shows on the SD-card-build.md? After the update done do I need to proceed all the steps or few have to be skip?
If yes which one need to proceed and which is don’t need?

“The first thing what I did sucesfully to make the step 1. the update.
After I wan’t to continue step 2. (Enable root filesystem read-only mode) ,
but it seems to me that after the update (1. step) the 3.rd data partition already created, and severall step was done during the update (step1).
My first question, is it true that not all the step have to be done after the step 1. (upgrade) ?
If yes, where can I found step by step actual Installation guide?
What are the following steps,please help me.”

Thank you in advance for your help.

By Hunber…

It was not a big deal like I tought before,now my Emon TX board is send the Measured data to the PI and I can see on EMON CMS andon emoncms.org.

Now I don’t understand why the EmonTX measure and send such a values.
I connected only CT1 the current sensor and the AC adapter + DC 5vfor the board.
I uploaded thto my EmonTX v2 the latest emonTx_CT123_Voltage.ino firmware.

I have the following feeds :
Emon TX1 power1 : value :70 real power it looks real and ok now on my test setup (measure only my pc).
Emon TX1 power2 : value : 0 ok in Arduino I set to not active this ch.
Emon TX1 power3 : value :0 : ok in Arduino I set to not active this ch.
Emon TX1 power4 : 24510: 0 It have to be an RMS Voltage?
Emon TX1 rssi: value : -36 what’s that value ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

In telecommunications, received signal strength indicator (RSSI) is a measurement of the power present in a received radio signal.[1] In your case the wifi signal

1 Like

Dear Eric,

that means the 433 Mhz RF strength ?
Why I can’t see my RMS Voltage and current on the chanels?

Yes in your case the 433 Mhz signal (wifi)

For your other questions, bit hard to guess as I’m really not an expert. I can only try to understand … did you de-activate in the arduino ? no need for this. If no CT is linked it will just send a zero signal.

Thanks. I going to search answer to my questions in another topic.

Thank you again.

Just for clarity you mean the RSSI is for the 433MHz RF, 433MHz isn’t WiFi, that’s 2.4 or 5 GHz.

@hunber, The emonTx v2 only has 3 CT inputs and therefore 3 power values, the 4th value is AC voltage scaled x100 so that an integer rather than a float can be transmitted via the RF library JeeLib. Your example above

is actually 245.1 Volts RMS, I’m guessing you may be using the stock emonhub.conf settings on the emonSD which are aimed at the emonTx v3 which has 4 CT’s. Can you confirm the node id of your emonTx v2 and check the settings for that nodeid in the [nodes] section of emonhub.conf, for the emonTx_CT123_Voltage.ino, assuming a node id of 10 you will need an entry like

[[10]]
    nodename = emontx_v2
    [[[rx]]]
       names = power1, power2, power3, vrms
       datacode = h
       scales = 1,1,1,0.01
       units =W,W,W,V

and it must be the only [[10]] in the conf so you may need to comment out or delete any entries that the same node id.

Dear Paul,

yes, you are right. In the meantime I found this setting, but thanks for the great support.
Thanks for all the quick response.

by Hunber…

EmonSD-03May16- RELEASE. Does it work for raspberry one? In the documentation talks that works for RasPi 3, 2 Model B +, B, and even Pi zero. Does not mention the raspberry one

Sorry, what’s a Raspberry Pi one? The image should work on all RasPi’s

He’s referring to the generation of Raspberry Pis produced prior to the Pi2.
(refered to by some as the Pi 1 to differentiate it from the Pi 2 or Pi 3)

Both the “Model B and B+” are Pi 1’s so I think he is either referring to a Pi A or maybe even a very early Pi B rev 1 with 256mb of RAM. Both the A and the B rev1 have 256mb RAM so the answer would be the same except for the fact the A has no Ethernet so it would need initializing on a B (B, B+, 2 or 3) to set up a wifi dongle.

Although I haven’t tried it I think 256mb of RAM might be pushing things, half of that is probably taken up with the RO temp files and then there is openhab nodered mosquitto redis sql etc etc.I think some services would need trimming most likely.

[edit] Just for info, The full Raspbian images will pick up a wpa_supplicant.conf file from the /boot partition if there is one there during startup. So using a Pi A with wifi does not ordinarily cause a problem as the wifi details can be added via the PC before putting the card into the Pi, but Jessie-lite doesn’t AFAIK

maybe this will help…

Ah yes, model B +. Yup, I have tested the latest image and it works fine (just a but slower) on a model B+ and pi zero. Although you are correct, you would need to setup the wifi manually on Pi zero