emonPi continuous sampling firmware , no readings

Hi,
I have an emonPi with 2 CT’s running on a RP4.

I would like to use the continuous sampling firmware and have followed the instructions detailed here Firmware — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation

Using the emonPi web interface to install the firmware named
‘emonPi continuous sampling firmware, lowpowerlabs, v1.1.1’

The install appears to run correctly but I receive no readings on my feeds. I have tried shutting down and rebooting but to no avail.

Using the web interface to install the ‘emonPi discrete sampling firmware, jeelib_classic, v2.9.3’ restores my feeds.

Am I missing something, I’d still like to use the CM firmware if possible?

Many Thanks

Welcome, Jon, to the OEM forum.

What appears on the Inputs page? Are the inputs there - I’ve not cross-checked, they might have different names to the DS version and so won’t automatically log to your existing Feeds.

Generally, all data arriving in an emonPi - its own power readings or those coming in by radio - first appear in the emonHub log file. If they pass the format & CRC checks, the numbers are passed into emonCMS where they are joined by data arriving via your LAN and appear on the Inputs page.
It is only when, as part of the input processing, you “Log to feed” that the data is stored and appears in the Feed, only then you can do something with it.

Thanks @Robert.Wall , I assumed the inputs would match up, I will give it another go when I get some time and report back.

My hunch was right (backwards compatibility bites the dust).

The format of the data is different, so you need to edit your emonhub.conf file. In emonCMS, go to Setup → Emonhub → Edit config and scroll down to the section for the emonPi itself. It’s Node 5:

[[5]]
     nodename = emonPi
     firmware = emonPi_RFM69CW_RF12Demo_DiscreteSampling.ino
     hardware = emonpi
     [[[rx]]]
         names = power1,power2,power1_plus_power2,Vrms,T1,T2,T3,T4,T5,T6,pulseCount
         datacodes = h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, L
         Scales = 1,1,1,0.01,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,1
         units = W,W,W,V,C,C,C,C,C,C,p

Comment that section out and add this:

[[5]]
    nodename = emonpiCM
    [[[rx]]]
        names = Msg, power1,power2,power1pluspower2,vrms,t1,t2,t3,t4,t5,t6,pulse1count,pulse2count,E1,E2
        datacodes = L, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, L, L, l, l
        scales = 1, 1,1,1, 0.01, 0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01, 1, 1, 1,1
        units = ,W,W,W, V, C,C,C,C,C,C, p, p, Wh,Wh

Save and then restart emonhub (on the same page). you should get your data when you’ve reloaded the CM sketch.

The names are the same, the data was being thrown out by emonHub because it didn’t fit the specification for Node 5 in the file you’ve just edited.

2 Likes

@Robert.Wall Thanks so much, I added as you detailed but I had to add an extra unit to the start of “units = ,W” .
I set the nodename to “emonPi” to match my existing and my feeds now work as before. :partying_face:

I had previously calibrated my ct’s “scales = 1.09,1.09,1,0.01063,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,0.1,1” do you think I need to recalibrate now I’m using CM or should they be good enough?

I saw this and thought it was probably wrong, I copied it verbatim from the software in Github. I’ve got “units = n,W ...” in mine.

Those should be OK, as you’re using the same voltage reference, the same c.t’s and a.c. adapter, etc.

2 Likes

Thank you Robert and JWitd.
My emonPi got stuck two weeks ago, for no reason, even a reboot from the web interface didn’t help. All the inputs were inactive, but the LCD was responsive on button presses. Anyway. After fiddling for half an hour decided to just powercycle the whole thing. It fixed it. However googling around I noticed there is a new FW with continuous sampling. My current FW was still the original one 2.9.2 I bought it with in 2019. So I decided to upgrade to the new one.
Long story short, there is no backward compatibility. And no warning either.
I figured from the EmonHub warning:
WARNING RFM2Pi 1 RX data length: 40 is not valid for datacodes [‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘h’, ‘L’]
that it is a misconfiguration. I tried to find the correct runes in the wiki, but failed. There is no mention yet. Tried to get it from github but couldn’t fint it in the code. And google cannot find this thread yet.
But fortunately it was one of the top threads on EmonPi here.

Thanks again. Hopefully my text will help guys searching through google to find this thread more easily.
The correct section to put in EmonHub config with fixed typo is:

[[5]]
    nodename = emonpi
    [[[rx]]]
       names = Msg, power1,power2,power1pluspower2,vrms,t1,t2,t3,t4,t5,t6,pulse1count,pulse2count,E1,E2
       datacodes = L, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, h, L, L, l, l
       scales = 1, 1,1,1, 0.01, 0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01,0.01, 1, 1, 1,1
       units = n,W,W,W,V,C,C,C,C,C,C,p,p,Wh,Wh

I am happy to know you have your emonPi working. Unfortunately, I have no control over what appears on Github.

Note: Your post was held up automatically because “you typed too fast” - this is the sign of a spammer. Please type directly into the web page, if you can; this will avoid the problem.