EmonHub Install - different instructions

Looking at this guide emonpi/SD-card-build.md at master · openenergymonitor/emonpi · GitHub I am given one set of instructions for installing EmonHub. I think the additional commands are now done by the install script.

Looking at GitHub - openenergymonitor/emonhub: Python service linking and decoding input to MQTT & Emoncms I get a slightly different set of instructions.

I also note that the directory the git clone should be done in, is not specified, but one of the instructions assumes it is done from the home directory. I’s suggest adding a cd home command before the git clone;

The install script assumes the locaton as well;

### set git cloned location
    GIT_PATH=/home/pi/emonhub
    if [ ! -d /home/pi ] ; then
      {
        echo "Directory /home/pi does not exist, this installation script is for raspberrypi installation"
        exit
      }
    fi

I’d also note that not every Pi is a RaspberryPi and not all will use Raspbian so the user may not be ‘pi’. Perhaps this should be more generic?

Hi Brian,

I totally agree with you. Last time I need to change all the paths in order to be able to install the emonhub on my system because of the PI customisations you remark above.

I have 2 emontx v3.4 connected via serial to an atom board and every time I need to install the emonhub it´s such a pain. The instalation and configuration file structure with the mqtt and new goodies aren’t well documented, the github repository it’s not up to date and there are a lot of versions from different developers mixed on the repository. At least for me isn’t quite clear.

I think they do not care much about it because they package all on the emonSD. It’s a shame because I’m a good customer, I mean at least I bought the hardware to them.

Regards

Well I need to recall my text in part.
Now I see that 2 months ago they add a well documented emonhub.conf on github: https://github.com/openenergymonitor/emonhub/blob/emon-pi/configuration.md

However, again it’s only related to the ###emonHub (emon-pi variant). That´s what I don’t understand, why it’s only up to date the emonpi variant and not the emonHub standalone release?