EMONEVSE Three phase GFCI Error

Dear

Installed my 3 phase EMONEVSE load station.
When i try to load with more than 8 A i always get GFCI test failure.
After some seconds of loading GFCI failure switch off.
I have connected EMONEVSE via 5x6mm2 cable and a groundfault circuit interrupter 40 A type B for AC and DC .
So i switched off GCFI failure test in the menu and also ground monitoring for test reasons → same problem.

When i reduce current to 8 A it loads.

On the display wrote L2 8A.
But i have Renault Zoe with 3 phase AC loading possibility and therefore woiuld like to load with 3 phases 16 A.

Does everyone hav similar problems.

Best regards

Karl

Hi Karl,

Sorry to hear your having issues. Due to the internal charger design on the Renault Zoe they are prone to earth leakage causing RCD tripping issues.

You haven’t mentioned in your post what earthing arrangement you have? Zoe’s require a good earth (<150 ohms) depending on the regulations in your country this should be provided for by a TT-island earth rod i.e don’t connect the EVSE to the supplier earth but use an earth-rod installed by the EVSE instead. You will require an earth loop impedance tester to test the earth, however the Zoe does an earth loop impedance test each time a charging session begins, if a charging starts successfully is safe to assume <150 ohms. I believe you can see the reading of this earth loop impedance test performed by the car by using CanZe bluetooth app tool.

If you have installed the unit using a Type-B RCD then it’s safe to disable the internal GFCI. With the GFCI disabled you should not get the error but your upstream RCD may then trip. The GFCI in the EmonEVSE is more sensitive than the type-B RCD. As a final resort you could remove the GFCI CT inside the EVSE.

Have you tried three-phase charging with your Zoe at other charge point locations? It’s possible that an issue with the car is causing this e.g: https://www.speakev.com/threads/renault-zoe-tripping-multiple-charge-points.33593/

Dear Glyn

Thank sfor you rsuper quick response.
I switched off the internal GCFi test afterwards i installed an external RDC Type -B . So i´m always on the safe side.

What i´m not understand is why the failure stays with switched off GFI Self test and switched off Ground monitoring ?

Yes i have try´d ZOE on my workingplace with 3 phase loading with no problems.

At the moment i use the earth connection from my house and the connected grid. Maybe an additional earth rod nearby the EMONEVSE is a solution.

Do you have a picture what is to disconnect for remove the internal GFCI CT clamp.

Have a nice weekend

Karl

This is strange and could indicate a hardware fault. If the issue persists after removing the GFCI CT we could send you a replacement controller.

To disconnect the GFCI CT sensor follow these steps:

1. Use a flat head screwdriver in the cage clamp slot to remove the wires going the to EV socket
  2. Un thread the GFCI CT
  3. Unplug the GFCI CT from the controller
  4. Re-plug the EV connector wires into the cage clamp

1 Like

Dear

Connected an additional round earth in the switch box where the RDC is located. No success.

As the RDC stays always ON (no trip)

Is it possible that the internal GFCI CT has a wrong current transformation ratio ?
We have here in Austria 3x380 V AC (phase against phase and 220V Phase against N) but this should have no impact on the sum current transformer. Scaling in software ?
How many secondary windings should be on it. ?

As the station is located at my sons house i will test next week to deactivate the GFCI and report again.

Thanks again

Karl

Dear Glyn

Removed the CT sensor and voila 16 A loading works.
What is the sensitivity or trip current of this sum current sensor.
My RDC is a 40 A 30mA Type B and works without trips.
Next week i plan to bring the solar PV divert feature to work.

Karl

1 Like