EmonESP V3.1.0 | Significant Update, no more SPIFFS 馃榾

I鈥檝e just released a new version of EmonESP V3.1.0 Releases 路 openenergymonitor/EmonESP 路 GitHub

This version is a significant update, mostly @jeremypoulter backporting the awesome work he鈥檚 been doing for us on the OpenEVSE WiFi :clap:

The most significant feature of the new update is the lack of SPIFFS. HTML/JS has noe been embedded into the firmware which can be loaded in a single upload which the HTTP update via the GUI now works :smiley:

There are lots of other changes include a serial debug console to view the ESP and the emonTx serial in real time and send serial commands directly to the emonTx from the web UI :+1:

Since the HTTP update does not currently work on the last EmonESP version, this update will need to be uploaded using a USB to serial programmer and esptool. See EmonESP release page linked above for instructions.

3 Likes

@glyn.hudson

I have not updated yet as the screen shot does not show an mqtt port number field. Can you enter a custom port number?

Yes

@glyn.hudson

Where are precompiled binaries?

In the compiled sonoff directory they are still the old files.

If you switch to the tag for 3.1 you can see the compiled binaries there.

Hi, can someone please give instructions on how to flash the emonESP with the firmware? Im using OSX for reference.

Thanks.

On the releases page: Releases 路 openenergymonitor/EmonESP 路 GitHub

The instructions are on the releases page and on the readme for the EmonESP repo: Releases 路 openenergymonitor/EmonESP 路 GitHub

You need to use esptool: e.g
$ esptool.py write_flash 0x0 firmware.bin

Hi Glyn,

So I did see that, but I think it assumes a bit of knowledge that I don鈥檛 have!

Where do I find esptool.py? What / How do I connect to the device to upload the firmware and execute it? My esp is connected to an emonTX, I have connected to the web ui (currently shows v3 firmware), can I update using the UI? The release for 3.1 suggests that this is fixed in 3.1 so I assumed it doesn鈥檛 work in 3.0? Also, how do I know which version of the ESP I have to pick the correct firmware?

Thanks
Barry

I鈥檓 afraid you can鈥檛 update via the web UI, this is one of the main issues this update fixes! After this update you will then be able to load future update via the web UI

If you are happy with the current function of the EmonESP, maybe you don鈥檛 need to update?

You will need esptool and a USB to serial programmer.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: EmonESP Custom MQTT Port