Ciao everyone from Italy!
I am Marco and got my first EmonTX v3.4 back in 2015, it worked like a charm for a long time, but then somehow the RF module was interfering with our electric gate (I guess they worked on the same 433 Mhz freq), so I switched off the emonTX and forgot about it.
Now 5 years later being in forced quarantine I re-discovered this world, and with much surprise I found out that the emonTX can now work with ESP8266, bypassing my aformentioned RF problem. Huge thanks for this, you guys are really awesome.
So I proceeded with updating the emonTX:
- I am using the latest firmware of continuous monitoring, uploaded with Plaftorm.io
- I am using EmonESP on a NodeMCU v3 (works like a charm, btw), fw uploaded with Plaftorm.io
- I am using a 5V DC PSU able to provide 2A for powering the emonTX + emonESP
- I am also using a 9V AC/AC adapter for current sampling
- I’ve connected 3 x CT of the type SCT-013-030 on CT1, CT2 and CT3 (fyi I already removed back in 2015 emonTX on-board burden resistors to compensate the fact these CTs aleady have burden resistors)
I then configured emonCMS and MQTT and they work fine.
I immediately noticed some anomalies on the readings I got, so after a few days I re-read the wiki and forums a bit better and noticed I didn’t do one important step.
So yesterday I did the following:
- I removed the JP2 so I am using EU plug AC/AC adapter for AC sampling
In that occasion I also did:
- Wired a DS18B20 temperature sensor to the emonTX board
Re-powered everything, worked like a charm for a few hours.
Now comes the strange part. I noticed at first that I got all power readings to zero - while temperature reading was fine. My first thought went to a potential lack of power - in fact I also added a new temperture sensor to the setup - so I switched to a more powerful PSU: now the emonTX + emonESP is plugged to a 5V DC 2.4A.
But I am once again receving strange readings - please see attached screenshots: in Screen1, I have normal operation and then the next reading doesn’t include Vrms and power. Also the temperature reading goes from a “normal” 21°C to a hellish 69°C!
Then in Screen2 for some reasons I have a message about “new config saved in EEPROM”
In Screen3 it starts behaving normally.
I have two main canditates for these issues now:
- bad WiFi connectivity - I have -85 dBm signal, but I am already working on an upgrade
- faulty AC/AC adapter - in particular in regards to the zero readings I got
I think 5V DC 2.4 A should be more than enough to power the setup…or not?
I would really appreciate your thoughts/tips.