Emoncms Apps: Missing menu controls on update

Sorry to come an sound like an ungrateful pain, but WTactualF?

I was semi-forced to update to rescue my input processes that went randomly missing a few days ago and rebooting didn’t work. An update somehow helped.

Now there is the unhideable, horrible, wide left hand navigation thing on the apps… can there be a hide option please?

I can’t be the only person who runs an app (emonpvwithdivert in my case) on a tiny 7" tablet in portrait mode on my wall, and now it’s unusable.

I quickly scanned this thread, but I didn’t immediately see a way out of this dilemma.

Thanks, sorry to be negative.

Peter

If I change zoom levels it appears to “intelligently” hide the menu, but now the text sizes are different. Can I please just ask for an explicit way of hiding the (to me) unnecessary left hand menu and any other future decorations?

OK, apologies for the somewhat unconstructive comments above, but I was a bit surprised to say the least. Since then however I cannot find a single redeeming thing about the way the left hand menu/menu bar has been implemented, especially when compared to the other menus on the top right, like for other options. Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose and how it works with this new multi-app things talked about. I certainly only ever want one display at a time, especially on a wall mounted display.

To whit, if I display the divert app in a portrait window with zoom-out (either hires or so the text is smaller to allow everything to fit I get this type of thing (simulated on my PC dfor screen cap as getting screen caps of my Amazon Fire 7" tablet is hard):

If I zoom in enough to trigger the client side code to get rid of the menu bar the app button no longer works as a useful selector:

On a tablet, where there is tap and tap/hold, not even this happens and the only app I get is the top option, mysolar app.

My suggestion would be to restore the plain old pop-up menus as the top-right selection options. The work and they don’t eat screen real-estate.

Hello @peter, personally I am rather fond of the left had sidebar, on wider screens it makes better use of the available space, providing quicker access to the apps as well as the app selector.

The design and intention is for the sidebar to hide on smaller screens such as a tablet.

Zooming will of course create a problem, in the case of the pvdivert app - the better solution would be to improve the responsive code in the app to better deal with the tablet screen size rather than using browser zooming.

Your screenshots all show a missing App list icon which should look like this:

The expected behaviour with this icon present is to do exactly what you describe, with the option to show/hide the left hand menu.

I wonder if you could try a full page refresh first just to check that its not a browser cache issue?

Full refresh doesn’t change much and my apps are not this pretty blue version either. Is it possible the upgrade missed some stuff? I am at work and so can’t dive into file comparisons with git etc.

Not quite sure whats going wrong, I’ve have double checked on Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer, they all appear to be working ok. How did you update your EmonPi? Could you let me know the emoncms version your running?

I simply used the button in the Administration page. I have attached the update log (which goes back a few generations it appears) if that helps. Please delete the attachment if you think there is anything in there that shouldn’t be public.emonpiupdate.zip (9.0 KB)

Thanks, the log shows that emoncms itself did not update, which is very likely the cause of the problem:

git pull /var/www/emoncms
  dev-mosquitto-php
* master
  pgalbavy
  pgalbavy-3
  stable
  symlinked_modules
On branch master
Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 3 commits.
  (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
nothing to commit, working directory clean

Have you made any modifications to emoncms that you know of?

Ah! Yes, months back, I pushed some changes at you but obviously failed to do whatever magic is required to then fall back to the release branch. I’ll see what I need to do to fix that.

Actually, now I look, it’s more likely this that is the problem:

git pull /var/www/emoncms/Modules/app
On branch 9.0
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/9.0'.
nothing to commit, working directory clean
Already up-to-date.

I’ll go learn more about the over complicated hell that is git to find out why and how to fix it (it wasn’t me, for sure, this time)

1 Like