Community
OpenEnergyMonitor

Community

EmonBase vs EmonPi

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fc918b40b98> #<Tag:0x00007fc918b40ad0>

Dear community

I was wondering what the main driver is for the price difference between these two base stations: EmonBase and EmonPi. I have gone through the technical documents but still, I struggle to understand the fundamental differences from a system design perspective and why there is such a big difference in cost?

I know the main characteristics are:
EmonBase: WiFi (2.4GHz), Radio wave connectivity (433 MHz), Raspberry Pi based.
EmonPi: WiFi (2.4GHz), Raspberry Pi based, LCD Screen, 2x CT ports

Costs
EmonBase: ÂŁ57
EmonPi: ÂŁ175 (That is 3 times the price)

I am not an expert, but I fail to see why one would buy the EmonPi rather than the EmonBase.

What I plan to do is connect 2 x IoTaWat devices to a network with 25 CT’s connected to upload data to EmonCMS to be accessed via the internet as well as via a local server.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

An EmonPi is an EmonBase and an EmonTX rolled into one. On it’s own, the EmonBase does not measure energy (note CT ports on EmonPi).

All you need is a Raspberry Pi and EmonCMS as the IoTaWatt does not communicate by RFM (IIRC).

Although it doesn’t use a radio module made by Hope RF, it does use RF.
In this case, Wi-Fi. In essence, 2.4 GHz instead of 433 MHz.
So, maybe a semantic thing of Wi-Fi vice UHF radio :wink:

1 Like

Great, thanks for the feedback - it makes sense. What I don’t get is that the “value add” of 2x CT ports in essence would make the station increase in price three fold.

What else might I be overlooking? Maybe the emonPi has more feateres?

An emonpi is a RPi and 2x CT monitor front end with rfm (incl external antenna), RJ-45 for 1-wire and pulse counter all contained in a single custom aluminium case with a LCD display,. An emonbase is just a RPi in a generic plastic case with a small rfm receiver.

The emonpi is a more elegant single unit solution if you only need 2 CT’s, but yes the emonbase is indeed more cost effective when used with an emontx (either via serial or rfm) as you have 4 ct’s and RJ-45 for 1-wire and pulsecounting, for less money, but it’s less pretty. IMO this is not an issue if you are locating it near the consumer unit ie in a garage or under the stairs etc.

You don’t get the generic plastic case at the £57 price point.

Perfect, thanks for clarifying!