Does this even work on a Raspberry Zero !?

I’m slightly lost as to which method you are now using - prebuilt or bare OS.

This…
Prebuilt SD card image - does not work
Manual scripts - does not work
I am about to try the old instructions here:Installing emoncms on a raspberry pi - Blog | OpenEnergyMonitor
But with the fixed partitions this time
If it does not work then I think that the answer to my original question is… Maybe it works on this board but nobody seems to know how to install it

Bit harsh!

I’m not convinced you left the card long enough to properly boot. A PiZero could take at least half an hour (a Pi4 takes a good 15 minutes).

Which I have already said probably will no longer work due to changes in RPiOS. They were written in 2012!!!

This is after doing the raspberry card prep steps here:EmonScripts: SD Card Preparation for RaspberryPi — OpenEnergyMonitor 0.0.1 documentation

pi@EmonCms:~ $ df -H
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       5.3G  1.3G  3.8G  26% /
devtmpfs         91M     0   91M   0% /dev
tmpfs           226M     0  226M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs            91M  959k   90M   2% /run
tmpfs           5.3M  4.1k  5.3M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            32M     0   32M   0% /tmp
tmpfs           1.1M     0  1.1M   0% /var/lib/php/sessions
tmpfs           1.1M     0  1.1M   0% /var/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1  268M   53M  216M  20% /boot
/dev/mmcblk0p3   11G   15k  9.7G   1% /var/opt/emoncms
tmpfs            46M     0   46M   0% /run/user/1000

I told you how long. 1 Hour - I tried multiple times

Not harsh - Above in this thread someone else said they could not get it working.

I have spent 2 full days trying to get this to work. Believe me I wish that the pre-built image had worked. Would have saved me many hours of frustration

Yep - but that is the only method so far that sort of works

Unless you can suggest a better idea?

It was me and I’ve been trying various options since before Xmas - fortunately I don’t need the system up and running until I’ve installed our Solar PV but it’s incredibly frustrating.

My solution to the partitions problem was to use the Raspbian 32bit image with desktop, install Gparted and set up the partitions that way - but the scripts fail for various reasons, directories not found etc. I can’t see why there should be a difference between Raspbian Lite and Raspbian with desktop… I’d given up on the zero W and have been trying a 3B that I have.

Simon

Hello @emonsouth @Bramco. I havent personally tried building the image on a Pi Zero yet, nor have I done that much testing with it. We don’t have any official support for it yet, though I would certainly like to get it working. I did boot up a Pi zero with a recent image a few months back and Im sure it worked. Booting today first attempt bought up an access point and loaded the emoncms interface fine but then for some reason I couldn’t adjust the wifi settings. Now I cant seem to get the access point to come up again.

Just dug out an old Zero, yes fails to even get past initial boot on kernel panic. Must be to do with new inital boot process.

Interesting. What version of HW? emonSD, yes? I’m trying an early PiZ and it hasn’t booted.

The one I have here looks like this, I cant see the text on the bottom side as the adapter PCB is in it’s place…

Ah, interesting. 32GB card :frowning: I wonder if that is it. I’ve only got 16s here to test.

I doubt it’s that the latest image download supports 16GB, did you download the updated version?

Question is why did mine boot up fine a minute ago but is not doing so now… I’ve got a couple of the display adapters on order so that I can check the terminal output

1 Like

Must be. It was Etcher that was complaining before.

Mine looks exactly the same - on the underside it says Pi Zero W V1.1 and copyright 2017.

Simon

1 Like

We’ve also got 5 of the latest pi zero’s coming from raspberrypi for testing sometime in the next few weeks. So that should help.

1 Like

I was hoping to get a 2W sometime in the near future but I’m guessing it will be Q2 as they’ve said supply issues should be sorted by then.

Just as an update, I ran the emonscript last night, after 90 minutes, the apt upgrade was still running, I went to bed. This morning it had stopped at a reboot message. I set it off again, but left the house. I’ll check back tonight.

I’m reasonably sure the emonSD still does an apt update on first boot (I could be wrong).

Summary, boot it up, leave it overnight :wink:

If I understand correctly the latest are 64 bit where the original is a 32 bit