DIYBMS v4

Just placed an order with JLCPCB using there assembly service as well. Rebecca was extremely helpful with the $10 USD discount.

1 Like

Boards arrived today.
can’t do anything with them yet they have to stay in quarantine for 24h.

Just need to add the THT connectors/headers, LED and ATTiny.

3 Likes

I recieved my USBASP programer (Van Ooijen Technische Informatica) thinking it would sort out my problem as i couldnt get my usbtiny isp to work.
I have downloaded the drivers and its showing in device manager as working but in platformio its coming up with the following error avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=05dc.
I really hope to get this going as this is such an amazing project, and i am really sorry if i am asking to many questions i am guessing i am doing something very silly.
many thanks in advance
Mike

I had the same issue.
I had to use Zadig to replace the existing driver with libusbK (v3.0.7.0)
https://zadig.akeo.ie/

Richard

Started to program today, still waiting for JST’s to arrive.
few issues with BMS modules at 1st
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

but i’m just putting that down to my dodgy soldering, after reflowing the ATTinys all went through with out issue.

1 Like

Cheers Richard i will give that a try.

Hi everybody. Has anyone tried to improve Wemos code with this functionallities?

I have a problem, in my case, I can’t get wifi as my bms will be in my second house, so I need to use GSM communication to send data to MQTT.

That is a problem because of how much data I can send (no problem) I can send data every 1, 5 or 10 or whatever minutes.

I have already installed a system in that house with some nodes (temperature, lights, … with RMF69 and a central node as gateway between RFM69 and GSM net with SIM800L board).

I want to include my DIYBMS in this system, so I have several options:

1. use another SIM card and SIM800L board and connect directly to my Wemos.
  2. use RFM69 in Wemos and send data to “central gateway node”

That is my FIRST question. Does anybody have any experience?

Second question is about working wemos in a standalone version. I am thinking in WifiManager or a system where I can live the wemos, go with my phone, and connect to the “Wemos wifi net”, Wemos will work as a router, as works when you first configured the diybms (192.168.4.1). Does anybody update code to use that library? (Even it will be better if we have a button in our wemos and only “activate” that mode after pushing button)

Any experience will help a lot. Thanks a lot.

There is an open feature request for this
[Controller to stay in access point mode for offline applications ¡ Issue #6 ¡ stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4Code ¡ GitHub]

WiFiManager isn’t a good solution, it doesn’t support ESP32 for long term compatability.

Thanks. So what are you thinking about? will “standalone server” be activated by a button (not to waste power) ? Great job Stuart.

Standalone would be just that, it would provide a WIFI access point to connect to. Probably setup as a configuration option when you first boot up the device.

I have just seen development branch in WifiManager. It seems to support ESP32.
https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager/tree/development

Also I have found this (less comitters): GitHub - prampec/IotWebConf: ESP8266/ESP32 non-blocking WiFi/AP web configuration Arduino library

Finally got round to finishing the assembly of my JLCPCB assembled monitor boards - no issues there.

First problem I had was no comms between controller and monitor boards - turned out to be because I’d cut a 4 way JST-PH male to male cable to make it a 2 way but hadn’t realised one cable needed to be swapped around in one end of the connectors. Still waiting for my proper cables to arrive, so was butchering what I had because I was impatient. Once I did that everything worked :slight_smile:

I had two odd things - I kept seeing the controller is having communication difficulties message despite the fact that it was communicating happily with the modules. It’s only dropped 19 packets out of 40,000 now and those were right at the beginning while I was probably bumping it/moving cables. It was doing that for many hours but seems to have stopped sometime this morning (started everything running yesterday late afternoon). Not quite sure what the logic is around when it puts that message up.

The other one is sometimes when first loading the web page of the controller, the top right menu seems to shift very rapidly left and right by a few mm on my screen (lots of times per second). Refreshing the page seems to fix it and no problem after that. I only use the Chrome browser and I’ve seen it do that on 3 different computers. Odd.

7 modules built and successfully programmed for my test 7s2p pack but only 2 tested with the controller so far - I want to wait for my 2 way JST-PH cables to arrive.

One question I have - how are people powering their controllers? At the moment the only thing I can think of is to run it off one of the cells in the pack - but that will pull one down more than the others. Using a dc/dc converter across the whole pack might also work but there’ll be losses there so not ideal. No mains to run a plug in usb supply in the shed where this will be going and it won’t last that long even on a large power bank.

Just appeared again, still only 19 missed packets which hasn’t changed for a long time.

It went again shortly after taking the screenshot.

Hi Terry,
Could you let me know where you get the CPL file they questioning for apart from BOM?

Thanks and br
Alex

They are both on GitHub, look in the jlcpcb branch

1 Like

Hi Alex

I used stuartpittaway’s jlcpcbassembly branch of the diyBMSv4

https://github.com/stuartpittaway/diyBMSv4/tree/jlcpcbassembly

What part are they questioning?

1 Like

Thanks Terry, overlooked the branch. Sorry for the noob question, still learning git. :frowning:

Thanks Stuart and sorry for wasting your time. My goal was to not ask dumb questions. Didn’t work. :wink:
I overlooked the branch.

cheers
Alex

1 Like

Don’t be sorry, we are all learning…

Hi @jamesb
The “communication difficulties” message appears when the controller has not received a message from the modules for 5 times the round trip time - so about 2.7 seconds in your example.

As long as the packet sent/receive are broadly in line and keep going up, it should be fine.

I think this issue is caused by only having a couple of modules connected, but not narrowed it down yet.