DIYBMS v4

Ctrl+F5, Shift+F5
The page may be cached

next time I will try another browser , as I powered the system off, I will not know if it will do it again if I power it backup up , it will be a good 24 hrs since charger was disconnected

what had me concerned was the 4.3+V peaks being reported while their was no charger running … but it could have been cache , so will have see what happens when I charge up the next module

Awesome. Thanks Daemon

1 Like

Hi All,
Just been trying to program DIYBMSv4.21 boards, I bought the USBASP board which has an 10 pin connector, but the DIYBMS only has 6pins. I would assume I will need to jumper from the supplied ribbon cable to the 6 pin connector, question is, is there a pin out for the 6 pin or can I modify the ribbon to just plug it in? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Can you give advise about a way to safely handle battery cut off. I’m using a 5kw hybrid converter on a 14s100p battery, so 150A max with margin would fit, but will have charge and discharge currents on the same wires. I’ve setup the converter to stop charge and discharge to reasonable voltages but I’d be more confident with a safety cut-off handled by the BMS as second protection. I read some about SSR-DD for DC/DC but I don’t have any targeted reference or maybe other option like high power relay but coil constantly drains current (Albright 150A 48V relay). Many should already have solved this question.
Regards,

1 Like

You are perfectly correct :slight_smile:

Once the balance stops (the target voltage is reached) the module goes into a “watching” mode as the cell voltage is likely to spring back at this point so we may need to start balancing again - during this time the graph on the screen should be red, but the balance amount should be zero.

1 Like

An suggestion on improvement:

Clear cell module min/max voltage when “Calibration multiplier” factor is changed.
(can look into the code and provide a PR later on).

Thanks @MatsCedergren good idea, simple change as well.

@stuart or somebody else, what is the suggested powered method for the controller ? I mean i will power with 5V but from where ? Directly from battery (with a dc-dc converter) ? after the breaker for the battery ? I mean if the BMS decides to trip the breaker in a emergency and it’s connected after the breaker then it will shut down itself as well, is that what’s intended ?

There are a lot of variables to consider in this one, powering the controller directly from the battery is probably the most straight forward using a dc-dc converter.

Just ensure you have a quality dc-dc converter, something like this (but you have to ensure its suitable for the voltage of the battery pack)

Correct, also what i had in mind. I was looking at a meanwell din rail but anyways the issue is that the controller could potentially drain more of the battery unless it’s caught.

The go-to product for this is the solenoid contactor which you already mention, and you are correct this does draw power just to keep itself energized.

Ok, so I’ll go to a relay. Thanks @stuart

Automotive relays have a connectors for usually off and on when energised. Sorry hard to explain, but both options can be used to your advantage

If there is one moving contact, which makes one contact path when the relay is energised and a different contact path when the relay is not energised, then:

The moving contact is called “common”,
The contact which is open when the relay is not energised is called the “normally open” or N/O contact,
The contact which is closed when the relay is not energised is called the “normally closed” or N/C contact.
Together the common and N/O contact are the N/O pair of contacts, the common and N/C contact are called the N/C pair.
The “normal” state is when the relay is not energised.

The prototype PCB design for the new controller arrived today, this is a “dry fit” of parts in the DIN rail enclosure. Looks like it all fits!

6 Likes

Which ESP module is that? Will it work with the ESP32 DevKit-C?

Yes - it is a DevKit-C, but with external antenna socket.

1 Like

Tell us more Stuart?

See this post…

[DIYBMS Announcements - #7 by stuart]

2 Likes