DIYBMS v4

avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor=‘www.fischl.de’ product=‘USBasp’

I have some programmer that worked a few months ago to program the modules. I can’t seem to get it to work now.

It shows up as fabisp device in device manager. I’ve tried drivers the zadig thing but don’t really understand the architecture of all this.

Any suggestions?

Hi Stuart. I love the design. Waiting to build some of those. THX

I’m also sitting on nails (if this phrase is in english the same as in german), ordering a bunch of the mousebite-design’s.

Living in South Africa can be a right pain trying to get things shipped. JLCPCB/LCSC don’t have ATTINY841-SSU, so I found another company called chipmall and ordered from them, had my stuff Fedex and items are due to arrive a week later. if anyone else don’t not have the luxury for ordering from Farnell you could give chip mall a try
www.chipmall.com

Yes, except we say “pins and needles” instead of “nails”.

1 Like

“On tenterhooks” I would have thought. “Pins and needles” is the sensation you feel when the blood flow to a limb is cut off and then restored.

1 Like

I’ve seen that as an answer to crossword clues, but its use in the US (AFAIK) is not too common.
Pins and needles? I can remember hearing that one as a young lad of 5. Quite common OTSOTP.

hello,

So i build this BMS for my small powerwall project but stumbled on some problems.
i had some troubles to upload the code onto the cell modules but thats fixed now.
then i was exited to see if it works. so i connected tx to rx and back. connected a cell and powered the wemos. so i am looking to the gui on the webbrowes but nothing does appear. am i missing something? tried to connect and disconnect serveal times but can not find the problem. i measured the tx and rx with the oscilloscope and saw the wemos sends data from tx to rx cellmodule but there is nothing coming out of the rx of the cell module. the cell module itself seems to work. red light comes on sometimes and i feel heat on the resistors when the led is on.
is there a debug guide for this?
pleas let me know what i can do to fix this.

Kind regards
Jency

Looks like you are 99% there. I bet there is a missing solder joint on the optoisolator or near the attiny pins.

yeah, i just checked the schematic and i made a mistake while measuring. i put my probe on one wire of the tx and the gnd of the probe on the other wire of the tx and i dit the same for the rx side. so i saw in the schematic that tis gives a short through my oscilloscope haha.
so when i disconnected one of the 2 ground i had signal on rx and tx but still notting to see in the web browser. any idea on how to go further?

Loop the input and output of the controller only. No modules. You should see the ignored packet count go up.

If that happens then the controller is okay.

oke that worked i got the error packages. what to try next ?

The cables you are using are they straight through not cross over? Double check the connection.

yep they are

Does the green led flash (on module) when connected to the controller?

Does the ignored packet count go up when the module is connected?

Did you burn or program fuses when you programmed the module?

first: the green leds blinks once or so when i connect it to power. but it does not light up when connected to the controller. somethimes the blue led blinks.

second: no the ignored packet does not count up.

third. i did not program the module with platform io. i tried this but it failed every time. i used a atmel-ice to program my module. what i did instead was. when i pressed upload in program io it gave an failed warning but i saw it generated a hex file. so i took that file and and uploaded it to the attiny through atmel studio. so i am not sure if i set the fuses. my best guess is that it just like pressing upload in platform io.

Okay, best guess the fuses are wrong. The module is running at a slow CPU frequency.

There are 3 fuses bytes that need programming, the vales are in platformio.ini file and you will have to work out how to do that with the programmer you have.

oke i will look in to that tomorrow. can you tell me how to set the fuses or where to find that?
i mean by that what are the setting for the cpu like clock speed scalers etc? if you dont know the setting by heart what i guess you dont :p, pleas tell where i can find this.
i can fix this manuel in atmel studio then i dont have to do an new upload.

Kind regards
jency

The values are in platformio.ini file as I mentioned.

; lfuse = 1110 0010 = CKDIV8 & Calibrated Internal 8MHz Oscillator
; hfuse = 1101 0110 = EESAVE & 1.8V BOD detection level
; efuse = 1111 0100 = ULPOSCSEL2/ULPOSCSEL1/ULPOSCSEL0/BODPD1/BODPD0
board_fuses.lfuse = 0b11100010
board_fuses.hfuse = 0b11010110
board_fuses.efuse = 0b11110100
1 Like

Just for information, this is the new controller design I’ve been looking at. It fixes a number of issues people have had and also improvements requested.

Please don’t ask about availability - its going to take a long time to get this working reliably and doesn’t “physically” exist yet. It may not work!

It has…

• ESP32 - both DevKitC and Pico supported
  • Interface for CANBUS
  • Interface for RS485
  • A large colour touch screen (optional)
  • Eight I/O lines
  • Two ports for modules - allowing up to 128 modules on 1 controller
  • Two mechanical relays + it will likely have two or more solid state relays
  • DIN rail mounted case
  • ISP programming port for automatically programming the modules/shunt etc (no need for platformio or usbasp adapter)

All of the above is interfaced to the ESP32 using SPI interface and every available I/O pin is used!

13 Likes