DIYBMS v4

i dont know how difficult an update is for a working canbus
but many people requested this

does someone know when this updade will be released?

@stuart At minute 12:47 of your current monitoring launch video, do you have the rs485 +5v line at the controller connected? The m-usb hides it from the camera. Should it be connected to the current monitor? And then I suppose that the controller would be powered through it from the battery and no other power needed?

The current shunt is self powered from the battery.

However, you need to connect all 4 cables of the controller rs485 to the same pins on the current shunt.

Is the lcd dark because of powering with usb?

All my cables are twisted but only the cables outside the battery are shielded,
i will try to groung the shield now because i lose com when charging,
and the first module increases voltage and starts balancing i don’t understand why…

Hi Stuart
Finally we have the 20 DiyShunts from the Spamnish Team.
Everything has gone very well, and although I have left my eyes a little, it was possible to weld all those small components.
I have tried the 19 and they all go well, but there is a last one that does not work, I put a video with the sequence of lights in case you can tell us where you think the problem is
Autoedited to elimiminated the link to the video sorry

Looking at the programming, I think I can identify 8 flashes in the sequence, so the problem would be
//8 flashes 10101010101010100000000000001111
const static uint32_t err_CheckSumErr = 0xAAAA000F;
How could I deal with a solution?

@Chapulino
From the FAQ:

1 Like

Sorry. Thank post edited

1 Like

I’ve never seen that error, but it means that the INA chip has a corrupt configuration/memory. Possibly a bad chip?

Take a look at “MEMSTAT” register in the documentation.

I don’t think so, it is one of the same 20 that Texas Intrument sent me from the USA.
Maybe it was damaged by heat in the assembly or, although it is rare not impossible, it was defective, it only remains to change it I imagine but it is very lazy to order just one because of the high shipping costs.
Thanks Stuart

2 posts were split to a new topic: 96S Nissan Leaf EV pack

@stuart
I am running the old controller with v4 modules. I see fluctuation on the voltage readings, see this video, is that normal ? You can see the readinf from the fluke meter which seems to be stable. As far as i can see all modules reacts the same, maybe it’s normal. I am measuring on Cell #15 with Fluke so it’s the one selected in the UI.

FYI: At the time of the video battery was beeing charged with 10A which is nothing compared to capacity of 160Ah and batery was around 60% SOC

I think diybms works in that way. The same occurs to me.

When did you build the V4 modules? There were reports of a bad batch/inaccurate tl432 chips, which are the main voltage reference.

my voltages also vary even when not charging but only a few mv.
how accurate is the module if you add 0.001v will it actually go up 0.001v?
My multimeter reads 0.025v too much right at the max error on the datasheet 3%.

No it’s not that accurate, from memory the module resolution is 0.004V, or 4mV.

i understand that is why it jumps ± 5mv when calibrating, if the reading goes up 5mv while you type you will be out by 4 or 5mv because it jumped to the next value.

@atanisoft , I’m in a bit of a hurry. Stuart tells me you might know someone who can build me some of these boards. If so, please DM me so we can discuss. Thanks a bunch.

Which specific boards are you looking for? I have a handful of extra module boards (v4.0 or v4.1 IIRC) but no spare esp32 controller boards.

I need the whole lot. 14 BMS boards, Shunt, Controller, etc. And the newest versions of everything.
I’m building a 100P14S battery bank for a Tiny Home Prototype Project, 48v system, using 18650’s (2200mAh). FYI, I’m also adding a Sol-Ark system to manage the whole thing - 12K or 5K, I haven’t decided yet - just so you know the big picture.

I checked what I have of extras and I can only help with the BMS module boards, I have 14 v4.1 module boards (7 fully assembled and I have the parts for the remaining). I don’t have any spare controller PCBs or any of the shunt PCBs.

Unfortunately with the parts shortages it is going to be a challenge to find all of the latest PCBs. I was going to order a batch of the Shunt PCBs but with multiple components being unavailable I’ve held off on ordering.

Sounds like an interesting project. I’m currently working with 160p7s (24v, ~20kWh) and have enough 18650s on hand to double the capacity.