DIYBMS v4

The ABB units need about 6-9A inrush current. The relays on the normal Arduino boards should be able to cope with that.

No they wont get out of balance. You draw this current during 250ms when the breaker trips. So just hook the breaker up to half the pack through the Relay :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help so far! Last question (for now :wink:), I’ve seen some breakers from midnite solar, 200a for around $120 brand new. Which route should I go? used ABB or the midnite solar ones new?

Cant say which one is best for you. I dont have access to midnite where i live and havent tested them. For me the ABB units are rock solid but they are also very big. I have both S5 and S3 here and the S5 is a beast!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Boots, blinks green, then blue two times

Found some mounts on thingverse and redraw some bits to get them on a dinrail, attach the antenna and make it modular, still need to do some redrawing and modifications

3 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: DIYBMS for LTO cells

Ufffff 2700 forum messages! half a live to read all!!!
Please please improve github with some how-to. :yum:
So my questions: sorry if was asked previously…

-Not clear if 680mA can balance large packs (100 18650 cells… 200A aprox). Why not upgrade MOSFET to support more current?

-Best approach for my powerwall will be split in two: 14s 100A, so: I need two controllers or only one can manage two strings.

• I read that use a PCF8574 for extend I/O but other boards like esp8266 nodemcu have a lot of I/O ports, why don’t use them?

Thanks

The MOSFET can support over 6Amps, however how do you dissipate the amount of heat that will generate?

Only you can determine if the balancing current is enough for the size of the battery you are constructing, as you mention you can split larger packs down into multiple strings. Up to 4 are supported on the current controller (16 with the new experimental software).

The ESP8266 doesn’t have many IO pins, most are already used hence the PCF chip - this also allows higher current on the pins and also removes the possibility of destroying the ESP chip when driving external devices.

1 Like

Thanks @daromer, went with the s3, although shipping to Australia doubled the price sthink it will still be worth it :slight_smile:

You have my attention! Care to elaborate on other features and timing of beta release, along with timing for the new controller?

Had a module which seemed to ever so slowly drain the battery it was attached to…can it be caused by my not so pretty solderwork on the attiny?! What also caught my attention was that this module was always
3 degrees warmer then the rest (also when i measured temp with an ir thermometer.
Screenshot_20201222-200856_Parallels Client|690x326

I’m also very curious about this. Would be interested to know why the external 2.048V reference was selected over the internal 2.2V reference.

I am going to test a 4S lifepo4 battery over the Christmas break, I have placed a heatsink over the resistor bank and put a larger plug on the pcb for connection of the battery to allow a heavier wiring to the battery.
I brought a 20mm X 0.2mm x 25M/roll 3M Double-sided Thermal Adhesive Tape, and put 2 layers under the 20mm x 14mm x 6mm heatsinks.

4 Likes

From the datasheet [http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-8495-8-bit-AVR-Microcontrollers-ATtiny441-ATtiny841_Datasheet.pdf]

Internal 2.2V reference voltage can be in the range of 2.134 to 2.266 V (quite a large % difference)

Additionally, the power supply to the ATTINY needs to be higher than the voltage reference for it to work.

The V4.21 design uses a 1.25V reference (0.5% tolerance), which is able to measure lower voltages of cells to support different cell chemistry.

Would be interested to see the results

1 Like

So I suppose if one was planning to calibrate the ADC readings and only read cell voltages > 2.2V then the internal reference might be fine? Thanks for the info Stuart.

Perhaps, I don’t rate the internal reference on any of the ATTINY chips, the reference voltage bounces around with the supply voltage - the exact thing you don’t want.

Yeah, good point. Looking at the datasheet (the ATTiny85 in my case) the voltage reference does indeed drift quite a bit: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Atmel-2586-AVR-8-bit-Microcontroller-ATtiny25-ATtiny45-ATtiny85_Datasheet.pdf (page 191). I suppose you could try and compensate for that curve in software a bit but that’s not ideal.

Are you referring to the TL432 here (which I see in the jlcpcbassembly branch)? Looking at the datasheet (http://www.unisonic.com.tw/datasheet/TL432.pdf) I’m not totally clear on how much current it is constantly drawing from the cell. I would guess it’s “Minimum Cathode Current for Regulation” which is 0.6-1mA and that seems quite high to me.

Looking at the LM4040 (which I see in the master branch) - the operating current is bit lower at 45-60uA (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4040-n.pdf page 7) which seems more acceptable for smaller packs of cells.

What sort of acceptable idle current draw are you aiming for with v4? Thanks for walking through all this with me - appreciate your insights!

If you look at the circuit, the TL432 is driven from one of the ATTINY pins, so its only “on” for a fraction of a second whilst in use, then off for the remaining time.

The V4.21 boards sit idle most of the time consuming nano amps, and only a 5-10 milliamps when they process a packet of data for a brief moment. I spent a long time getting the power consumption as low as possible, based on the V3 DIYBMS design.

My test rig contains 8 single cell 18650 cells (less than 2000mAh each), and they take months to drain
down from the BMS module alone.

2 Likes

Hello guys .
After mounting the V4.21 modules, and of the 30 that I have prepared there are two that give me an error, the voltage reading is 0.5V higher than the real one and also does not give a temperature reading.
I have reviewed the soldering of the Attiny again and again and I have also changed the D1 for a new one (finally, as JLC did not have and sent the modules without the D1, as a solution I put AZ432ANTR-E1 LCSC code C84139 with satisfactory results). Where do you think the error may be, what components should I check or replace?

Thanks to Stuart for sharing this exciting project.

1 Like